|2011-01-27 01:28:46||Environmental Coalition Calls on Presidents Obama and Hu to Declare Global Climate Emergency|
Should the following letter be posted on SkS? (Although the letter is dated Jan 19, I just became aware of it toeday.)
OPEN LETTER TO PRESIDENT BARACK OBAMA & PRESIDENT HU JINTAO
• A melting Greenland ice sheet that threatens to raise sea level 23 feet
• Fires transforming carbon-storing tropical rainforests into carbon emitters
• Ocean acidification imperiling the base of the seafood chain
• Melting glaciers in the Himalayas and Tibetan Plateau threatening the dry season irrigation water supplies - and food security - of hundreds of millions of people
• Ever-deadlier storms creating growing numbers of climate refugees
• Scientists predicting 1/5 of living species being driven toward extinction by mid-century
This is just the beginning. Nature tells us time is running out, but we can't see the clock. As we blindly reach critical climate "tipping points," things promise to get worse, much worse. Central to the solution is a wartime-like mobilization by the governments of the United States and China to cut carbon emissions 80 percent (based on 2006 levels) by 2020. This is required if we are to reduce carbon emissions to 350 parts per million in the atmosphere, the level top climate scientists say is safe for humanity.
|2011-01-27 16:36:26||petition peddling ?|
At first impulse I thought sure, pretty impressive letter.
But, it only took a moment to think of the down sides - talk about politicizing.
There is no actual science in that letter impressive though it may be.
This may seem pretty ironic coming from me - but I think it's true.
It just feels too much like petition peddling - I wouldn't think SkS wants to head down that slippy slope.
just my opinion.