2010-11-27 03:10:30Cherry picking - ideas for translations?
BaerbelW

baerbel-for-350@email...

Hi Folks,

the very common English expression of "cherry picking" is being used on page 1 in the upcoming "Scientific Guide to Global Warming Skepticism" and it is accompanied by a painted cherry tree with two blue and many red cherries:

"Climate cherry picking - Selective cherry picking could have you thinking this is a blue cherry tree. But what does the full body of evidence tell you?"

Unfortunately, we don't have the same expression in German and I'm not sure about other languages. The closest idiom we have in German is - translated - "picking out the raisins" but that has a slightly different meaning as compared to "Cherry-picking" (and the picture of the cherry-tree wouldn't really fit either if the text mentions raisins).

So, my question is: do you have similar issues with your languages or how are you planning to get around this? Should we just stick with a direct translation (and perhaps add an explanation of sorts to explain the depicted cherry-tree?).

Cheers
Baerbel

2010-12-29 17:48:55multi-lingual imagery
Glenn Tamblyn

glenn@thefoodgallery.com...

Interesting point Baerbel, and this raises a general issue. AGW effects the entire world and all its cultures. While many authors here come from a Western world perspective, ultimately the entire world needs to be engaged. So the idioms and metaphors of different cultures matter.

If I had to pick the key cultures that need to be 'engaged with' - no offence to other cultures including my own here in Australia - then the stand-out languages are American English, Mandarin ( and any other major regional Chinese dialect), Hindi - ditto dialects, Spanish, Portugese, Russian, Arabic, Indonesian, Japanese.

What are the idioms in those languages that parallel English expressions such as 'Cherry Pick'.

Could the translators start to build a list of idioms from their languages that are comparable to the English idioms such as cherry pick, including how resonant they are and what the associated visual imagery is? This could then feed back to posters etc wrt the imagery they use, to help in its translation to other languages.

2010-12-29 21:07:28Flexibility with guide content
John Cook

john@skepticalscience...
If cherry picking just doesn't work in another language, if you can come up with an alternative image, I can always replace the cherry tree with something different.
2010-12-30 02:52:56
Alexandre

tiburcio43@gmail...

That's an expression that works very well in English, and we don't have an equivalent in Portuguese. We have to say something  like "data manipulation" or "data malicious selection".

Even so, the image of the cherry tree expresses the idea really well, so I'll stick with it.

2010-12-30 02:59:19
Alexandre

tiburcio43@gmail...

Answering Baerbels question, I just wrote alongside with the cherry tree:

"If someone selects really carefully which cherries he'll pick for you, he can mislead you into thinking this is a blue cherry tree."

2010-12-30 06:32:56
BaerbelW

baerbel-for-350@email...

Thanks, Alexandre!

At the moment we decided to actually translate "cherry picking" with its non-idiomatic meaning of "selective choice", but your idea is something to chew on! I'll run it past the other translators.

Cheers
Baerbel

2011-06-09 22:49:27
stefaan

stefaandepraetere@hotmail...

Hi all,

In the Dutch translation i placed 'the so called cherry picking or kersen plukken' as there is not really a good translation for it. I posted this question also on the forum of the skeptics comunity while i was translating the guide but nobody offered an other satisfying translation. (same goes for peer reviewed)

greetz

stefaan

2011-06-15 09:04:02
Andy S

skucea@telus...

Maybe this helps?

Wider die Rosinenpickerei der Klimaskeptiker

Ein Gastbeitrag von Stefan Rahmstorf

2011-06-19 21:11:09
BaerbelW

baerbel-for-350@email...

Thanks Stefaan and Andy for your replies. The question of how best to translate "cherry picking" had come up during our work on the German version for the Scientific Guide and we also settled for "Rosinenpickerei" throughout the text, with the exception of the description of the "cherry tree" on the first page where we decided to not use a metaphor (and one which wouldn't fit the picture) but an explanation instead.

2011-06-21 16:42:17
stefaan

stefaandepraetere@hotmail...

Hi Baerbel,

The difference between German and Dutch is that in German they use often long combined words like this rosinenpickerei. In Dutch its not really correct to use 'kersenplukkerij' or something like that. Anyway i didn't receive good suggestions on other forums neither so i kept the english words.