2010-11-17 23:02:04Translation-Collaboration with the help of a wiki
BaerbelW

baerbel-for-350@email...

Hi Folks,

there are already plans to create as many translated versions as possible of the upcoming "Scientific Guide to Global Warming Skepticism". Instead of sending Word-documents with the translations back and forth for those languages where more than one person is involved with the translating and proofreading it could make sense to use a more collaborative tactic via a simple to use wiki.

Here is how it works:

The klimaschutz-wiki has been around for a while and I've been using it to organise the German translations. We have overview pages like this one for the first 25 arguments and then there are separate pages for each rebuttal (eg. "It's the sun"). The overview-page shows the translation activities (who is working on what and what is still needed) and the individual pages contain the original and the translated text. Proofreading and corrections can be included directly in the text without the need to "spell them out" as they can be seen via the page-history of a page (the wiki keeps track of the changes).

The wiki can be read by everybody, but in order to create or change pages, a pbworks-ID (email-address + password) must be set up and the user must be listed as a "writer" for the wiki.

If you'd like to make use of the wiki, here is what to do:

1. Go to https://my.pbworks.com/ and create your pbworks-account
  2. You'll receive an automated email from pbworks with a verification link
  3. Let me know via email (baerbel-for-350 [at] email.de) which email-address you used and I'll add you as a writer to the wiki
  4. You'll receive another automated email from pbworks about joining the wiki and you are ready to get active

At the moment, we only have German translations for SkepticalScience in the wiki, but other languages can be done as well. In order to keep the different languages clearly separated, the page-names can for example include the language key, like we did for Manpollo-related translations.

Please let me know if you have any questions!

Cheers
Baerbel