2012-03-13 13:57:08abstract with a plot twist
Sarah
Sarah Green
sarah@inlandsea...

Looking for a climate link most of the way through this one (impacts, some obscure connection), then, a sudden plot twist, so rare in an abstract, to a final rating of err...??? I gave it methods/explicit.  (And I'm rather concerned to find NO listed as a principle component of the atmosphere.)

The Air We Breathe: Three Vital Respiratory Gases And The Red Blood Cell: Oxygen, Nitric Oxide, And Carbon Dioxide
NO is a key mediator of hypoxic vasodilation, but the precise role of RBC Hb remains controversial. In addition to established theories that depend on RBC uptake, delivery, and discharge of NO or its metabolites, an alternative hypothesis based on RBC permeability is suggested. NO depletion by free Hb may account for several clinical features seen during intravascular hemolysis or during deliberate infusion of Hb solutions used as RBC substitutes. CO(2) released by tissues triggers oxygen release through a series of well-coordinated reactions centered on the Band 3 metabolon. While RBC carbonic anhydrase and the Band 3 anion exchanger are central to this process, there is surprisingly little research on the kinetics of CO(2) clearance by transfusion. The three RBC gases are directly related to the three principal gases of Earth's atmosphere. Human fossil fuel consumption dumps 90 million metric tons of carbon into the atmosphere annually. Increasing CO(2) levels are linked to global warming, melting Arctic ice, rising sea levels, and climate instability. Just as individual cells depend on balance of the three vital gases, so too will their balance determine survival of life on Earth.

2012-03-13 19:37:26
logicman

logicman_alf@yahoo.co...

"I'm rather concerned to find NO listed as a principle component of the atmosphere."

Not quite:

RBC gases - three Red Blood Cell gases: oxygen - O2, nitric oxide - NO, carbon dioxide CO2.

The three RBC gases are directly related to the three principal gases of Earth's atmosphere: O2, N2, CO2.

But is it climate related?

I would say only insofar as it mentions anthropogenic CO2.  In law this would be what is called obiter dictum - an 'aside' which is not directly relevant to the matter under discussion and which is not binding on any court.

Not directly climate related.

2012-03-13 20:37:33
Glenn Tamblyn

glenn@thefoodgallery.com...

Definitely not climate related. Really just an egregious exercise in riding on the coat-tails of another subject just to sound topical.

2012-03-13 23:45:39
Riccardo

riccardoreitano@tiscali...

Not climate related but quite explicit.

2012-03-14 13:03:21
Sarah
Sarah Green
sarah@inlandsea...

Is it climate related? I think so.

How would you rate an inverse version, i.e. full of unrelated stuff and concluding with a statement contradicting AGW?  I'd call that some level of rejection. Indeed, the first parts of those rejection papers are sometimes as weakly connected to climate as the one above.

Many impact and mitigation papers are also riding coat-tails in a way. They study the range/habitat/genes/color variation/sex life/etc of species X because it might be affected by GW.

So, even though that one certainly riding on coat-tails, it's still making a link to climate. 

NO is directly related to N2 in the same way CO2 is related to buckyballs- they have atoms in common.