2012-03-08 16:39:10Funniest abstract I've read so far
John Cook

john@skepticalscience...

I don't know how it got listed as a peer-reviewed paper but this one is pretty funny. I labeled it as non-climate related:

Cold Topics In Networking
A major contribution to global warming has been the number of new workshops publishing proceedings with the prefix hot. In this article, I propose that we counter this trend in an attempt to remain carbon neutral with a set of "anti-workshops" on cold topics. We suggest a number of heuristics for detecting when a topic has gone cold, and give some examples of the application of these heuristics. Of course, some cold topics warm up again, and so there is a risk of over dampering in our heuristic. Over a long period, dynamic equilibrium should be assured, but from time to time, our scheme may prejudice against surprising results in boring areas of communications research. Nevertheless, it may leave room for more surprising results in interesting areas of research, which cannot be a bad thing.

2012-03-11 03:25:22
Riccardo

riccardoreitano@tiscali...

This is not funny but looks kind of weird. There's no reference, though, and I do not understand what they're proposing:

"A Study On Ice Control For The Production Of 5th-generation Water Resources And The Arrest Of Global Warming
After a lengthy investigation on the unnatural phenomena of ice, such as the formation of ice valleys, ice caves, and ice spikes, it was found that ice will play a very important role in the next generation. It is suggested in this study that natural evaporation can be reduced, that the condensation of water vapor can be promoted, and that a tremendous amount of better-quality water can be generated for future use through the artificial control of ice. It was likewise found that ice that has been increased through ice control reflects more insolation and can suppress global warming. When applied to the central part of Korea, ice control can prevent 614 mm of water from evaporating for eight months, without refrigerating energy. The amount of water that can be prevented from evaporating will reach 438 million tons when applied to Daechung Dam, which has a water surface of 73 km(2) and many streams. Furthermore, by using 1 ton of continuously supplied ice, water vapor can be condensed into water resources at a rate of 37,440 g h(-1) in 15 degrees C air and 0.5 m s(-1) wind. It is also calculated that 4.8 x 10(6) km(2) of additional ice cover can terminate the global warming process. Ice control procedures involving the forced thickening of ice and delayed thawing are introduced herein. The related thermodynamics, simple experiments that were conducted, and observed results are reviewed briefly. To date, no harmful side effects of the use of ice control have been documented."
2012-03-11 06:10:54
Ari Jokimäki

arijmaki@yahoo...

Looks like they are proposing ice control. :)

2012-03-12 01:16:42
Sarah
Sarah Green
sarah@inlandsea...

Along the same lines:

"Application Of The Roadbed Cooling Approach In Qinghai-tibet Railway Engineering"  It proposes cooling the permafrost under the Qinghai-Tibet railroad by shading the ground. They may have been talking to Riccardo's Korean authors.

I also like this ambitious geoengineering approach; the idea is to capture comet material or blow up moon material to make dust and shade the Earth. 

"The Feasibility Of Shading The Greenhouse With Dust Clouds At The Stable Lunar Lagrange Points."  

There are many indications that anthropogenic global warming poses a serious threat to our civilization and its ecological support systems. Ideally this problem will be overcome by reducing greenhouse gas emissions. Various space-based methods, including large-scale solar shades, diffusers or atmospheric pollutants, have been considered to reduce the solar constant (input flux) and the warming in case emissions reductions are not achieved in a timely way. Here it is pointed out that proposed technologies for near-Earth orbiting comet deflection, suggest a different kindof space-based solar shade. This shade would be made up of micron-sized dust particles derived from comet fragments or lunar mining, and positioned in orbits near the triangular Lagrange points of the Earth-Moon system. Solar radiation pressure can render such orbits unstable, but a class of nearly resonant, and long-lived orbits is shown to exist, though the phase space volume of such orbits depends on dust grain size. Advantages and disadvantages ofthis scheme relative to others are considered.

2012-03-12 02:03:04
logicman

logicman_alf@yahoo.co...

Re: ice control.

A Russian study shows that using plastic films can promote ice growth. Maybe that's what the Korean study is about.

http://jap.aip.org/resource/1/japiau/v103/i6/p064506_s1?isAuthorized=no