2012-02-27 10:09:01Does this mean what it seems to mean?
logicman

logicman_alf@yahoo.co...

Photosynthesis is the origin of oxygenic life on the planet, and its models are the core of all models of plant biology, agriculture, environmental quality and global climate change. A theory is presented here, based on single process biochemical reactions of Rubisco, recognizing that: In the light, Rubisco activase helps separate Rubisco from the stored ribulose-1,5-bisphosphate (RuBP), activates Rubisco with carbamylation and addition of Mg(+), and then produces two products, in two steps: (Step 1) Reaction of Rubisco with RuBP produces a Rubisco-enediol complex, which is the carboxylase-oxygenase enzyme (Enco) and (Step 2) Enco captures CO and/or O and produces intermediate products leading to production and release of 3-phosphoglycerate (PGA) and Rubisco. PGA interactively controls (1) the carboxylation-oxygenation, (2) electron transport, and (3) triosephosphate pathway of the Calvin-Benson cycle that leads to the release of glucose and regeneration of RuBP. Initially, the total enzyme participates in the two steps of the reaction transitionally and its rate follows Michaelis-Menten kinetics. But, for a continuous steady state, Rubisco must be divided into two concurrently active segments for the two steps. This causes a deviation of the steady state from the transitional rate. Kinetic models are developed that integrate the transitional and the steady state reactions. They are tested and successfully validated with verifiable experimental data. The single-process theory is compared to the widely used two-process theory of Farquhar et al. (1980. Planta 149, 78-90), which assumes that the carboxylation rate is either Rubisco-limited at low CO levels such as CO compensation point, or RuBP regeneration-limited at high CO. Since the photosynthesis rate cannot increase beyond the two-process theory's Rubisco limit at the CO compensation point, net photosynthesis cannot increase above zero in daylight, and since there is always respiration at night, it leads to progressively negative daily CO fixation with no possibility of oxygenic life on the planet. The Rubisco-limited theory at low CO also contradicts all experimental evidence for low substrate reactions, and for all known enzymes, Rubisco included.

[my bold and italics]

http://www.mendeley.com/research/singleprocess-biochemical-reaction-rubisco-unified-theory-model-effects-irradiance-co-ratelimiting-step-kinetics-c-c-photosynthesis-gas-exchange/

I hope that I'm misunderstanding something.

Any biologists out there?

2012-02-28 13:00:13
Sarah
Sarah Green
sarah@inlandsea...

I am not a biologist, so I can't comment very intelligently on the details of this. I think the itallics part is just bad writing; I think he's saying that that's a consequence of the compting theories, but I'm not an expert enough to decipher both the writing and the science. If he is trying to say that no oxygenic life is possible, then I have (am) a counter example!

In any case, this author (Hadi Farazdaghi) seems to be rather on the fringe. He is heavily engaged in promoting his theory, including editing it into wikipedia. This 2011 paper is his only publication in WoS since 1988.

Happy reading!  I just found one that suggests that the clouds from hurricanes can mitigate warming that is causing more hurricanes.

2012-02-28 13:01:44
Sarah
Sarah Green
sarah@inlandsea...

removed duplicate post.

2012-02-28 14:18:16
Glenn Tamblyn

glenn@thefoodgallery.com...

logicman. It is discussing details of the metabolic pathways associated with photosynthesis - Rubisco is a central protein involved in this and may be the most abundant protein on the planet. He seems to be suggesting that other ideas about the chemical pathways lead to a physical impossibility that would prevent plant life existing at all. Whether he is right or not it is not AGW related in any way.

2012-02-28 15:28:53
Sarah
Sarah Green
sarah@inlandsea...

Here's another fun one:

Systematic chronobiologically interpreted ambulatory bloodpressure (BP) and heart rate (HR) monitoring (C-ABPM 7D/24H is now automatically possible; if continued around the clock over a week, this approach detects vascular variability disorders (VVDs) that include, among others, high BP itself and CHAT, short for circadian hyper-amplitude-tension. BP is never a constant ``true" (resting) value and can be more reliably diagnosed by CABPM 7d/24h as MESOR-hypertension, MH. CHAT carries a risk of hard events greater than MH and can be treated, among other VVDs, which if they coexist constitute vascular variability syndromes (VVSs). A project on The BIOsphere and theCOSmos, BIOCOS (corne001@umn.edu), provides, in exchange for the data, cost-free analyses and the opportunity of obtaining monitors at a cost reduction of 80% complements the records from purely physical tools for surveilling thevariable sun, by validating in the biosphere the reality of intermittent, aeolian environmental spectral components that can be more consistent than their physical counterparts once they are coded in genes. C-ABPM 7D/24H indicates relevant associations of space weather with human health and ecology. Monitoring reveals, around and in living matter, a system of transdisciplinary cycles with common average periods, quantified with point-and-interval estimates of parameters. The cycles in space climate are critical in discussing global warming.The cycles' periods are described as congruent when their CIs (95\ intervals) overlie or overlap and the amplitudes' CIs' lower limits are positive. Some congruent cycles in organisms, counterparts of the environmental day and the seasons, relate to electromagnetic radiation in the visible domain; these are the usually environmentally synchronized socio-photo-thermoperiodisms (photics). The biosphere also resonates with or is pulled or driven by nonstationary, environmental nonphotic cycles (nonphotics) -- particle emissions from the sun and the wider cosmos, cosmoheliogeomagnetics, ultraviolet flux, gravitation, acoustics and others. Nonphotics, a set of in part transdisciplinarily-novel spectral components, can be intermittent; when present, they coexist and compete with signatures of photic cycles, monitored, e.g., in BP and HR. Nonphotics of, e.g., about (˜) 1 week (circaseptans) and ˜17 months (transyears), characterize mood and performance, modulate and sometimes override society's (photic) schedules, even in dying suddenly either unintentionally or by one's own will or at the hand of others. Nonphotics persist, but are damped in physiology or in terrorism, when their environmental counterpart is not detected. Their elucidation provides information on how a set of cycles covering 18 orders of magnitude in thefrequency domain of the biosphere bears on the question ``What is life?": a resonance of the biosphere with periods of its environment constitutes life itself.
2012-02-29 17:07:10
logicman

logicman_alf@yahoo.co...

At least I know now why I have high blood pressure.  It's from reading too many crank articles!  :-)

Sarah: please tell me that one came from a Chomskybot or similar.  If that was written by a live inhabitant of this planet, then I want to get off!

Look On My Words, Ye Mighty, And Despair!

I suggested that these results would follow from the assumption that an important property of these three types of EC is not quite equivalent to the ultimate standard that determines the accuracy of any proposed grammar. Let us continue to suppose that this analysis of a formative as a pair of sets of features appears to correlate rather closely with a parasitic gap construction. In the discussion of resumptive pronouns following (81), the appearance of parasitic gaps in domains relatively inaccessible to ordinary extraction suffices to account for a general convention regarding the forms of the grammar. So far, a subset of English sentences interesting on quite independent grounds may remedy and, at the same time, eliminate a stipulation to place the constructions into these various categories. However, this assumption is not correct, since the theory of syntactic features developed earlier delimits nondistinctness in the sense of distinctive feature theory.