2012-02-19 07:19:49Ok, you can now beta-test the paper rating system
John Cook

john@skepticalscience...

This is very rough and ugly - I have an extremely busy next fortnight but I am desperate to get this process started asap without delaying it. So I've coded the paper rating system. Very basic, no bells and whistles, will continue to build on this and make it easier to use, let you see your own ratings, more reporting, etc. But for now, have a look at the following rating page and rate some papers. Note - this is live, your ratings are going into the system so make sure your ratings are properly considered:

http://www.skepticalscience.com/tcp.php?Action=Rate_Papers

There's a link to this via the TCP navigation links also. No need to go crazy with ratings yet - just do a few to test the system then report back any feedback in this thread. Once we're all happy, I'll scale it up with the leaderboard in the header, report on how we're going by the schedule, etc.

2012-02-19 10:41:43
Tom Curtis

t.r.curtis@gmail...

A brief run (four ratings) shows the system to be workable.  The link in the title is inconvenient as it only refreshes the page but does not preserve your ratings on the refreshed page.  It would be better IMO to just allow saving to refresh the page.  

Further, although I rated four papers only three where recorded, presumably because one of the papers already had two ratings.  It would be convenient to have a save rating button in each page so that I can save ratings as I go without having to focus on the bottom of the screen.  Otherwise my tendency would probably be to do a screens worth before saving.  If that change is not implimented I recommend saving after each rating to avoid duplication of effort.

My biggest problem was the mouse over to read the abstract, which I found a little bit of an eye strain.  Enlarging the size of the abstract box and using a bolder font would be appreciated.

Finally, one of the papers had author, journal and date information included in the abstract section, which is to be avoided.

As is the system is good and very workable, although obviously I would like some slight tweaks.

2012-02-19 12:07:15
Tom Curtis

t.r.curtis@gmail...

A counter of the total number of papers rated would also be nice.  Currently it only shows the number of papers rated with each save.

2012-02-19 18:15:05
Ari Jokimäki

arijmaki@yahoo...

Seems to be working ok. You get five new papers each time, is it ok to do just couple of them and then save, or do you always have to do whole five set?

2012-02-19 22:00:49You can do as many papers as you like
John Cook

john@skepticalscience...

you can do just 1 or all 5 papers, as many as you like.