2012-02-02 12:04:04How to import a video
John Hartz
John Hartz
john.hartz@hotmail...

How does one import a video into an article? 

2012-02-02 13:19:19
Daniel Bailey
Daniel Bailey
yooper49855@hotmail...

One method is to right-click on the video.  Many types will give you the option to "copy embed html"; that's what you want to select.  Then position your cursor in the WYSIWYG editor where you want the code pasted and then hit the keystroke combination "Ctrl" and the letter "V" at the same time to paste (or right-click the location desired and select paste off the menu).  The embed code will then be pasted.  The first time you save the file the embed code will still be there when you preview the file.  That's normal.  Just open it for editing again and the WYSIWYG editor will conjugate the code into an embedded video player for you.  Then just save the file again.

If it's a flash file or shockwave flash file it's much more difficult, but still doable.  If a flash file I use Internet Explorer to play the movie/video.  This imports a copy into the temporary cache file for Internet Explorer.  To access that copy, click on the Tools menu, then at the bottom of the menu select "Internet Options".  On the General tab, in the middle of the screen, there is a section called "Browsing History".  Click on the "Settings" button you'll find there.  That brings up a dialogue box called "Temporary Internet Files and History Settings".  About two-theirds of the way down the dialogue box you'll see a horizontal row of 3 buttons.  You want the one called "View Files".  Select that.  That brings up a Windows Explorer window with the contents of the temprary cache file listed.  Either select on the "Size" or "Last Accessed" sort options.  Most flash files or probably between 2 and 12 Mb in size (or bigger even, if the video is longer). When you find it, copy it into the Windows Clipboard (right click & select "copy" works), then paste it in the file location where you want to store it (I have a folder called Recovered IE Cache Videos).  When you paste it, change the 3-digit file extension from whatever it is to .flv.  This last part will enable Windows to identify it as a Flash file type, which can then be played by many video players or by your browser.  You can then upoad this file to SkS as if you were uploading a picture (just save the file URL location & then insert it into the WYSIWYG editor using the Insert Media function).  When you do, make sure the width is 550 or less (Youtube videos typically are 640 x 390; I change that to 500 x 305).

TIP:  before you try to acquire the video, empty the cache file to make it easier to find the video in the cache file after you play it in the browser

If it's a Shockwave Flash format you'll have to send me the URL to do it for you.  While I can (usually) pull the file out of the web page, it's a very intricate and convoluted process.  Einstein would say that I don't know it well enough if I can't teach the process.  And he'd be right.

2012-02-03 07:51:02
John Hartz
John Hartz
john.hartz@hotmail...

Daniel,

The two videos I am trying to import can be found on Major Study of Ocean Acidification Helps Scientists Evaluate Effects of Atmospheric Carbon Dioxide on Marine Life.

The right click method does not provide me with the option to "copy embed html".  Now what?  

2012-02-03 08:01:48
Daniel Bailey
Daniel Bailey
yooper49855@hotmail...

Ugh.  Flash.  These kind are best dealt with through prayer...

http://www.facebook.com/v/3055894357862

http://www.facebook.com/v/3055878277460

2012-02-03 08:13:16
Daniel Bailey
Daniel Bailey
yooper49855@hotmail...

For Flash files, follow this procedure (found a newer way):

1. Using Firefox 10.0, go to the webpage hosting the flash videos
  2. On the top menu, click on "Tools" then "Page Info"
  3. On the window that pops up, select the "Media" tab option at the top
  4. On the screen that displays, sort by "Type" (RH column)
  5. Scroll down until you see the media you wish and hilite it
  6. The bottom portion of the pane then displays details of the file hilited, including the URL
  7. Hilite the URL and copy it to your clipboard (right click+copy)
  8. In the WYSIWYG window, click on the insert/edit embedded media
  9. In the window that pops up, insert the URL and input the size needed (I used 500x305 above; play with the height to get something that looks good)
  10. Select "Insert" to insert the video
  11. Repeat as necessary for any other needed flash videos

That worked for me

2012-02-04 05:21:21
John Hartz
John Hartz
john.hartz@hotmail...

Yooper,

Since I do not have Firefox installed on my computer, would you be so kind and insert the two videos into my draft post, Major Study of Ocean Acidification Helps Scientists Evaluate Effects of Atmospheric Carbon Dioxide on Marine Life

Thanks.

2012-02-04 06:06:22
Daniel Bailey
Daniel Bailey
yooper49855@hotmail...

Done.  Used 400x244 size to make it fit in the boxes.

Nice job on the post; looks good.

PS:  All you needed were the URL's I included underneath each Flash video in my comment above.  The procedure I outlined above itself is actually pretty painless to follow. 

Other browsers may have their own version of the "Page Info" feature that Firefox has.

2012-02-04 08:47:38
John Hartz
John Hartz
john.hartz@hotmail...

Yooper,

Muchas gracias!

2012-02-04 09:30:58
Daniel Bailey
Daniel Bailey
yooper49855@hotmail...

De nada!