2011-02-27 19:52:35Embedding Video
Robert Way

robert_way19@hotmail...
Hey all

I was wondering if someone could show me how to embed video?
2011-02-27 20:25:25Sorry I hadn't replied to your email yet
John Cook

john@skepticalscience...
I was meaning to reply to your email, Robert, but first I wanted to try to fix the WYSIWYG interface to make it more YouTube friendly. I'll have a look at it tomorrow morning.
2011-02-28 00:40:05
Daniel Bailey
Daniel Bailey
yooper49855@hotmail...
  • If you right-click on the youtube video, select  the "Copy embed html" option on the menu that comes up.
  • Paste the copied html into the comment box.

The issue John refers to is embedded video on blog or rebuttal posts.  Opening the post for editing causes the embedded video code to disappear.  My workaround has been to copy the html to a saved .txt file.  Clumsy, but it works.

2011-02-28 04:41:15comment
Robert Way

robert_way19@hotmail...
okay well i'll wait till John implements the change and then i'll give it a whirl :P
2011-02-28 14:11:19Good news and bad news
John Cook

john@skepticalscience...

Good news is I've upgraded the WYSIWYG interface here on the forum and on the Author Admin so it works much, much better than before - both with YouTube and also hopefully with other WYSIWYG glitches that seemed to plague us. There are many more features in this upgrade:

• There's now a blockquote icon in the top row (the 66 quotes) - I'm very happy about this, I hated having to manually add blockquotes using HTML
  • The last icon in the 4th row is particularly nifty - lets you expand the edit window to full screen, useful for long blog posts
  • There's other icons I haven't yet explored - 'Cleanup messy code', 'Restore auto-saved content' and 'Edit CSS Style' all seem welcome. Feel free to post tips and techniques here.

And most importantly, you can now post YouTubes without the interface breaking the code. Even so, it's not as easy as I would like but at least it works. Here's the step-by-step on posting a YouTube video:

• Click the Media icon
  • For the type, select Flash
  • For the file/URL, this is the tricky bit. You need to copy and paste the YouTube URL. But it needs to take the form http://www.youtube.com/v/JrxE3uwHECs
    Eg - it's important that your URL starts with http://www.youtube.com/v/
  • You will also need to enter the dimensions which is the size in pixels (a tip for obtaining these - on YouTube, if you click Embed, it gives a few size options)

Bad news - the popup windows don't seem to work in Firefox so Internet Explorer may be the go for now. Hope to fix this but in the meantime, this new interface is way superior to the previous system so I'm sticking with it despite the Firefox glitch.