2011-01-17 10:06:49Referrer hiding
John Cook

john@skepticalscience...

When I look at my web stats, I see where my traffic is coming from. I'm sure the skeptic websites we link to from the forum also look at similar traffic reports. So they would see these links coming from a forum that they can't access. My only concern is this might spark someone to try to hack into our forum or try to infiltrate it somehow.

Similarly, when the Rapid Response Network gets going, we'll feature links to skeptic articles and blog posts. So they will see in the stats reports links from the RRN. That will also clue them into the existence of the RRN, perhaps before we're ready for it to be publicly known.

Both these thoughts have me wondering - should we create some kind of 'referral hiding' system? Eg - use a redirect system to hide all outbound links from the forum and RRN. If so, what is the best way to do this? Rewrite all URLs in forums? Use a third party redirect system or do it in house? Anyone have experience with this kind of thing?

2011-01-17 13:28:01
Daniel Bailey
Daniel Bailey
yooper49855@hotmail...

For warned is for-armed.  In taking the action to the enemy, it is advised to exert every precaution for every anticipated action that may arise (to paraphrase Sun Tzu).

Thumbs-up to a redirect system.

No experience with them.

Whatever became of Doug Bostrom?  He seems like he'd know something about that.

2011-01-17 21:42:19Doug status
John Cook

john@skepticalscience...
He's been occupied over the last few months but I've been in touch with him and hopefully he'll be engaging on the forums again sometime soon.