2010-09-10 00:58:44Beta testers for daily climate links email
John Cook

john@skepticalscience...

As the firefox plugin will have climate links flowing into the database, a natural complement to this is a daily email featuring the latest climate links. So I've programmed up such a feature and am now beta testing it, with the idea of launching it around the same time as we launch the firefox plugin. How it works is once a day, it emails you all the links submitted over the previous 24 hours. It divides the links up into categories. Eg - "blog", "mainstream media", "peer-reviewed study", etc. Each link is also colour coded: red for skeptic, green for pro-AGW, blue for neutral. The email currently looks like this:

So I welcome feedback to help improve this service. It's fully operational now - you subscribe simply by going to this link:

http://www.skepticalscience.com/index.php?LinkSubscribe=1

Then you'll start receiving an email once a day (4am Australia time). At the moment, it's just me submitting links. So if you use Firefox, would also be great if you could install the Skeptical Science Firefox plugin (still in beta) so whenever you see a climate webpage, you can add it to the database. Look forward to your comments :-)

2010-09-11 08:45:20
doug_bostrom

dbostrom@clearwire...
Nice incentive to use the plugin, too. For some reason I've drifted to Chrome for the last couple of weeks. Time to start using Firefox again...
2010-09-11 16:26:20Plugin use
John Cook

john@skepticalscience...
I've got myself into the habit that whenever I read any climate article that touches on any skeptic argument, I add it via the plugin. Each link is then listed under that argument which makes it a potential resource to refer back to down the track too. Hopefully when the plugin is launched, a number of people will get into this habit - there are many potential benefits to this such as keeping track of popular new skeptic arguments. I will probably even have a "Top 5 arguments over the last week" here on the forum so we can now what to devote our attention too.
2010-10-28 04:34:22Not seeing the background coloring in the email - just a problem on my end?
BaerbelW

baerbel-for-350@email...

Hi John,

not sure if I'm the only one having this problem, so I'm posting it in the forum instead of just sending an email....

Since subscribing to the climate articles, the email arrives like clockwork in my webmail's inbox. Unfortunately, the content lacks the helpful colorcoding, so I'm rather hesitant to follow any of the links (unless I know the website and its stance on the topic) as I don't want to send traffic to skeptical websites accidentally.

I'm getting a lot of HTML-formatted emails and there are - with very rare exceptions - no problems with the formatting, so I'm wondering why I don't see the colors in these specific emails. I'm usually using Firefox and I also opened one of the emails while logged in via Internet Explorer - the result was the same: no colors.

I just signed up for this daily email with an alternative (Yahoo) email-address (bwinkler_de@yahoo.de) to see how the email looks via Yahoo's webmail-interface. I'll let you know how it works out and this separate user can then most likely be deleted again.

Cheers
Baerbel

2010-10-28 06:40:45webmail
John Cook

john@skepticalscience...
Hmm, I'll have to check it via webmail myself
2010-10-29 08:09:47Yahoo's webmail displays the colors properly
BaerbelW

baerbel-for-350@email...

The email which I received at my Yahoo-mail-address today showed the proper color-coding, so it seems to be an issue with my web.de webmail-interface.

On a more general note: just relying on color-coding might not work for everybody (even IF the mail does show the colors) -there are folks who for example suffer from color-blindness and cannot distinguish between red and green. In addition to using the colors, could you perhaps also preface each line - or the website-address - with a letter like eg. "S" for "skeptical", "P" for "pro" and "N" for "neutral"? Or add a sub-category for each category (blog, online article, peer-review, forums) and group the links accordingly?

Cheers
Baerbel