2012-02-17 12:06:17Thanks from Chuck Kutscher
John Cook

john@skepticalscience...

Got this warm-glow-inducing email today from Chuck following our overnight post on his talk:

Based on all the views and comments I am seeing on my YouTube
presentation, I have a newfound appreciation for how popular and
influential your web site is. Thanks a lot for posting it!

2012-02-20 07:58:51Now Chuck's getting attacked
John Cook

john@skepticalscience...

Just got this email from Chuck:

Hi John,

I posted a comment on your site under my video (also pasted below). It refers to a blogger debunking my presentation. I've noticed that if you speak out on climate change you can expect to be attacked. One of my favorite quotes is by Winston Churchill:

"You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something sometime in your life."

By the way, your posting of my video has really helped it get out there. The number of views have gone way up. Thanks again.

Regards,
Chuck

I found that a blogger by the name of Pierre Gosselin posted rebuttals to my presentation. See http://notrickszone.com/2012/02/17/debunking-chuck-kutschers-climate-alarmism-presentatio/

He indicates that he is an American with a B.S. in mechanical engineering, works in Germany and has an interest in meteorology. I honestly did not find his rebuttals helpful in improving my presentation. For example, there were the typical attack on Mann's work and a reference to urban heat island effects. Both have been thoroughly addressed in the peer-reviewed literature and yet continue to crop up on skeptic sites. Similarly, the fact that the sun is not the culprit has been proven in many peer-reviewed journal articles. There were also the personal attacks and name-calling: questioning how I ever got my Ph.D. (for the record, a portion of my dissertation work was published in the respected, peer-reviewed ASME Journal of Heat Transfer) and calling me an "armageddonist." I guess that's stronger than "alarmist." (He also called me "slippery." )

I will continue to point out to people that if you call attention to something that is genuinely alarming, then you're not an "alarmist." Further, my research work and most of my presentations focus on solutions, so while "doom and gloom" makes for a nice label, it's not representative of my position. I believe that a combination of renewable energy, nuclear power, and land use changes can help us avoid the worst effects of global warming, and I was a co-author of a peer-reviewed journal article (in Environmental Science and Technology) along with Jim Hansen and two others describing the various solutions. I only put together the rebuttal to skeptic arguments in response to a special request by our local state legislature representative.

Mr. Gosselin also refers to my presentation as "populist." I think that's fair. I was presenting to a general audience, and I believe it's important that we present the science in a way that is both accurate and understandable. I welcome any suggestions on how to better and more accurately present my points from unbiased viewers who understand climate science. I continue to find John's Skeptical Science web site extremely valuable in that regard.

Regards,
Chuck Kutscher

2012-02-20 09:04:54
dana1981
Dana Nuccitelli
dana1981@yahoo...

You can let Chuck know that Pierre challenges Goddard on a regular basis for the title of dumbest climate denialist blog on the internet.