2011-10-07 12:15:15How might we use this scholarly piece about Salby?
John Cook

john@skepticalscience...

Someone emailed me about this article written by a professor at the same university as Murray Salby:

How we know the recent rise in atmospheric CO2 is anthropogenic.

This article is in response to a recent talks delivered at the IUGG and Sydney Institute by Professor Murry Salby. As Professor Salby has not yet provided any data (published or unpublished) to support the ideas presented, this piece is a response to the verbal content of his talk only.

By Colin Prentice: Prof of biological sciences at Macquarie Uni and his research is: 

Research

‘My work concerns the global terrestrial biosphere and its dynamic interactions with the atmosphere and climate. Much of my research centres on the modelling of ecosystem processes and scaling up from processes at the level of plants and soil micro-organisms to describe the large-scale exchanges of water, carbon dioxide and trace gases between the atmosphere and land. I have pioneered the development of global plant geography models (as the leader of the team that developed the BIOMEn family of models) and, since then, the development of global models to represent vegetation dynamics (the LPJ and LPX models). My present research focuses on the "next generation" of ecosystem and land surface models, incorporating new developments in ecology and ecophysiology including optimal allocation theory and plant hydraulics, and on developing tools for model evaluation and improvement using a variety of data sources ranging from eddy flux and atmospheric trace gas concentration measurements to isotopic measurements, remote sensing and palaeodata. I am also working on the quantification and analysis of sources and sinks of carbon dioxide, methane, nitrous oxide and reactive trace gases, and biogeochemical cycles and feedbacks to climate.’

We already have a thorough treatment on Salby but this is a nice concise piece by an expert on carbon cycles. Any thoughts on how we might use it at SkS? I haven't even contacted Prentice so he may tell us to get lost if we asked to reprint but thought I'd raise it for discussion first. Just post it as a guest blog post? Incorporate it into our rebuttal? Thoughts?

2011-10-07 12:42:53
Rob Painting
Rob
paintingskeri@vodafone.co...

"otherwise, we would all be cooked already!"

The man obviously has a sense of humour, and it would serve as a great advanced rebuttal I reckon. Worthwhile asking him for permission. 

2011-10-07 14:44:30Advanced rebuttal
John Cook

john@skepticalscience...

Thought about that but it's actually shorter than our intermediate rebuttal.

2011-10-07 15:27:31
Rob Painting
Rob
paintingskeri@vodafone.co...

Add a few pics and it'll look longer.

2011-10-12 18:16:18
Dikran Marsupial
Gavin Cawley
gcc@cmp.uea.ac...

perhaps invite him to write the advanced rebuttal to the residence time argument, while I have made a start on that, he is a real expert unlike myself!