2011-04-21 07:55:52"A mechanism for sun-climate connection" - no stance on AGW, but supports AGW prediction
Alex C

coultera@umich...

One prediction of warming Arctic waters during the summer, accompanied by decreased sea ice, is thermal upwelling that would likely follow and lead to a high pressure anomaly in the Arctic.  This paper discusses a solar mechanism for the same effect, basically that such events are more likely during solar maximums than minimums.

My thoughts are that the paper is neutral on AGW.  However, since we had a strongly negative AO last NH winter, and we were more or less coming out of a minimum and not in a maximum, this might provide an argument against a solar cause for the AO.  This is speculation and connecting dots not made in any publication I am aware of.  With this in mind, I am labeling this as neutral, though it might be justifiable to use it as pro-AGW to an extent.

OT, It was funny reading the introduction of the paper, all the while thinking of what must have been going through PT's head when he read the title.

Anyways, second opinions welcome.

2011-04-21 08:06:52First thoughts upon reading this
John Cook

john@skepticalscience...
Saying these high pressure events (causing record snow winters in Europe/North America) are more likely during solar maximum, my thoughts are what will it be like in a year or two when we hit maximum. Phew!

How to categorize would depend on what climate myth the paper is about.

2011-04-21 08:42:47
Alex C

coultera@umich...

The paper isn't really about a myth, just presenting another way that the solar cycle is related to climatic events on Earth.  It doesn't mention AGW, so I put it as neutral and paired it up with "Solar cycles cause warming" and "It's the sun."

2011-04-21 08:55:14ok
John Cook

john@skepticalscience...

If in doubt, neutral

But expect to see this up on WUWT, saying "aha, the sun causes those northern record snow winters!"