2011-11-14 19:43:21jmorpuss=dmorbel?
Dikran Marsupial
Gavin Cawley
gcc@cmp.uea.ac...

Just wondering, given the similarity in the format of the names, and the abysmal grasp of physics?

2011-11-14 22:46:17
Daniel Bailey
Daniel Bailey
yooper49855@hotmail...

Unlikely; jmorpuss posts from Canberra, Australia while damorbel is from Brussels/Antwerp, Belgium.

My worry is that jmorpuss is actually another Doug Cotton puppet.

2011-11-14 23:41:25
Daniel Bailey
Daniel Bailey
yooper49855@hotmail...

jmorpuss also uses an IP blocker so that his comments always come up with no city/region and the location then defaults to Canberra, Australia.

http://www.skepticalscience.com/admin_moderate.php?Action=SearchResults&UserId=5638

http://www.melissadata.com/lookups/iplocation.asp

2011-11-15 06:53:01Daniel Bailey
John Hartz
John Hartz
john.hartz@hotmail...

It's past time to eliminate all of the garbage posted by "jmorpuss" on the comment thread for New tool clears the air on cloud simulations.

Jmorpuss should also be permanently banned.

The amount of SKS Author and Moderator time this jerk has chewed up is perposterous -- to say nothing about how he has ruined what started aout to be a rather thoughtful comment thread.

If "littering" isn't banned by the current SkS blogging rules, it should be added ASAP!  

I am pissed! 

2011-11-15 07:06:55
Daniel Bailey
Daniel Bailey
yooper49855@hotmail...

How is what jmorpuss is doing any different than what any of the long-time SkS deniers do/have done?

As long as they aren't abusing the comments policy, they are each exposed for the tinfoil-hat wearers that they are.  Thus, the act of rebutting their nonsense serves as an object lesson to the silent readership of SkS...some of whom are yet undecided as to the science, but might be swayed by how harshly we are perceived to treat those "holding a different opinion".

If any have another opinion on this, I'm receptive to discussing it (provided the Comments Policy remains intact...heh!).

2011-11-15 08:25:38Daniel Bailey
John Hartz
John Hartz
john.hartz@hotmail...

No one should be allowed to hi-jack a comment thread with irrelevant posts. That is exactly what jmorpuss has done. By allowing him to it, we are encouraging others to do the same.

Sks authors and moderators ought to view the comment threads as a marvelous teaching tool. If someone in the classroom disrupts the entire class, he should be expelled.

If the SkS Comments Policy does not provide moderators with enough leeway to delete the litter posted by a commentor like jmorpuss than it should be revised. 

We need to give priority to teaching people who come to SkS to learn about the science. We need to stop worrying about how SkS is perceived by the deniers.  

2011-11-15 15:24:22
KR

k-ryan@comcast...

John Hartz - I would have to (to some extent) disagree. Demonstrating a reasonable attitude, which in turn points out the inherent untenable aspects of the flakeo's out there, shows to the great majority of readers that posters discussing actual science are not idiots.

That said, I think jmorpuss is reaching a demonstrable limit - just posting nonsense. I think one solid rebuttal (yay - climatstrology!) and a block of his posts would close things out.

Demonstrating that discussing actual science, with counterexamples, is an argument of reason is well worth retaining.