2011-10-07 02:55:04damorbel
Dikran Marsupial
Gavin Cawley
gcc@cmp.uea.ac...

I have been trying to give damorbel the opportunity to show he is not simply a troll by going over a basic issue step by step.  Needless to say he played along until it was obvious he would soon have to concede and is now merely prevaricating.  Can I suggest that perhaps damorbel should have his posting privileges revoked?

2011-10-07 03:17:07
Daniel Bailey
Daniel Bailey
yooper49855@hotmail...

Let's see what his next response is to your most recent query to him.

If more of his usual trolling, then bye-bye time.

2011-10-07 03:24:29
KR

k-ryan@comcast...

Unless you want to use him as a case study in denial, I would suggest he should go. I'll admit some bias, though, having spent entirely too much time on the 2nd law threads...

Actually, I would consider him an "argument troll", rather than an ordinary denier. He wants to argue, on and on and on, and will change arguments ad nauseum to do so. Not so much denying the evidence, more as a rhetorical trickster - constantly introducing red herrings and redefinitions to avoid admitting he's wrong.

And very, very determined. I believe (based upon some searching) that he's been banned from multiple Wikipedia topics for attempting to redefine thermodynamics at this point.

By the way, Dikran, your patience is admirable.

nauseam
2011-10-07 03:39:38
Dikran Marsupial
Gavin Cawley
gcc@cmp.uea.ac...

Thanks KR, over the years I have found patiently and relentlessly pursuing a step-by-step explanation is the only test that can reliably differentiate between a troll and someone with near-terminal Dunning-Kruger.  His response to my accusation of blatant trolling "Sorry about that!" (in a now deleted post) is a full admission that he is trolling and is doing so deliberately. 

I was wondering if he had some sort of autistic spectrum disorder, which was preventing him from understanding any other view (not uncommon in ASD), but his most recent posts show this is very unlikely.

2011-10-07 04:08:42So let it be written
Daniel Bailey
Daniel Bailey
yooper49855@hotmail...

Tetelestai

2011-10-07 05:25:12
Albatross
Julian Brimelow
stomatalaperture@gmail...

The argument clinic.  A classic :)

2011-10-07 19:45:26
Dikran Marsupial
Gavin Cawley
gcc@cmp.uea.ac...

@Albatross spot on! ;o) Sadly, that was exactly why damorbel was here, what a waste :-(

2011-10-08 01:48:55
Albatross
Julian Brimelow
stomatalaperture@gmail...

Hi Dikran,

"..what a waste"

Not completely Dikran-- your briliant step by step walk through was well worth it and in the end onlurkers would have seen very clearly that he was a troll and not willing to understand the science.  

I was hoping that yo might try the same with Norman on the extremes thread.  Actually, I would have thought that John C's group would be interested in such "experiments".

2011-10-08 02:35:35
Dikran Marsupial
Gavin Cawley
gcc@cmp.uea.ac...

I hope John didn't mind me going through the exercise via moderators comments, I did so basically because I didn't have anything new to contribute, but I wanted to get the discussion back on track.

The step-by-step approach means that a troll can't avoid getting to the truth becase (s)he would look silly disputing any of the increments as they are only each a small addition to what they have already agreed.  It doesn't work on skeptical blogs though, because the cavalry arrives to distract attention away long enough for the troll to escape.  The best thing about the approach is that if they are not trolling, then they can easily demonstrate that by simply engaging in the step by step disucssion.  It is depressing how often this fails to happen.

@Daniel thanks for the new word! ;o)

2011-10-08 03:10:40That was a Fifty-dollar word ;)
Daniel Bailey
Daniel Bailey
yooper49855@hotmail...

"I hope John didn't mind me going through the exercise via moderators comments"

Actually, I think it was the only way.  Damorbel has a history of selective response to the comments of others, but couldn't ignore the Moderator when that Moderator effectively grabbed the reins of the discussion tightly in hand.

Well-done.  And appropriate.