2011-09-21 04:51:09Dr. Roger Pielke Sr's Congressional Testimony in March 2011
John Hartz
John Hartz
john.hartz@hotmail...

On March 8 2011, Dr. Roger Pielke Sr. testified at the US House of Representatives Energy and Commerce Committee's Hearing on Climate Science and EPA’s Greenhouse Gas Regulation.

Dr. Pielke's oral testimony is posted on his website here.

SkS authors should give Pielke's testimony a careful read and identify those statements that may be in error and/or incomprehensible.

2011-09-21 04:57:46
Albatross
Julian Brimelow
stomatalaperture@gmail...

Good find John...keep going though his blog (that is what you appear to be doing and something that i would do if i had the time).

I think his goal is clear-- take the focus off CO2 (I'd love to see Richard Alley debate Pielke) and facilitate delay in taking action. He is a very sneaky denier-- I suspect that we would find that out if we could listen to the pielke's chat over dinner....

2011-09-21 05:00:29More
John Hartz
John Hartz
john.hartz@hotmail...

Two days after he testified, Pielke posted a second follow-up blog about the hearing. This discource reveals a lot about where Pielke is coming from and merits a careful read as well.

My takeawy from this blog is that Pielke loves to play Don Quixotte titling at the establshment windmills of the IPCC and the NAS.

From his perspective, SkS is small potatoes.

2011-09-21 05:08:45
Rob Honeycutt

robhon@mac...

John...  Yeah, but something about SkS has tweaked him.  I think it's probably more than him feeling like we've insulted his friend John Christy.  He's commented at SkS in the past so it's not that he just popped by this one time and wanted to make a blog post about SkS.

2011-09-21 05:19:37
Albatross
Julian Brimelow

John,

Given his huge ego, i thnik many people are small potatoes.  I hope he does think SkS is small potatoes, he mght be in for a surprise ;)

And note how he tries to make the IPCC "own" everything. In one of the Annan posts that NewYorkJ posted he talks about IPPC GAT (global air temperature) warming trend being artifically too high, even though the GAT records (and models) are produced by many agencies from around the world. Spencer does this sort of thing too with the IPCC.

Some keepers:

"Models themselves are hypotheses"OMG!  He is a modeller for crying out loud (I have a book wriiten by him in my office on mesoscale modelling)-- so he is admitting that his work is simply one big untestable hypothesis?!  NWP models and AOGCMs are based on physics!

"The climate science assessments of the IPCC and CCSP, as well as the various statements issued by the AGU, AMS and NRC, are completed by a small subset of climate scientists..."He is conspiracy theorist too it seems and he is projecting.  It is a smallsubset of deniers who keep casting doubt and exaggerating uncertainty, and he is one of them.

2011-09-21 05:33:33
Albatross
Julian Brimelow

Yup, our Roger Sr. is another "Merchant of Doubt".

2011-09-21 05:38:07
dana1981
Dana Nuccitelli
dana1981@yahoo...

Interesting, several of his questions to us came from (or at least are discussed) in his congressional testimony.  He's not going to agree with some of our answers.  Then again, I don't agree with his.

2011-09-21 06:22:49Another observation..
John Hartz
John Hartz
john.hartz@hotmail...

Professor Pielke most likely views us to be a bunch of unruly students in his climate change course who will learn the hard way that constantly arguing with the professor is an exercise in futility.