2011-09-17 13:12:41Huntsman launches fresh attack on Perry’s stance on climate change -- The Hill
John Hartz
John Hartz
john.hartz@hotmail...

Take a break form the Pielke affair and click here.

2011-09-21 02:15:17
jg
John Garrett
garrjohn@gmail...

Hi John, Thanks for posting this link and for the other one on Steve Schneider. I usually avoid the reader comments, but I couldn't resist and found the ones on this link are as ill-informed as commenters get. I guess it's a reminder that denialism is unshakable in some segments of the population.

I did have a revelation when reading the comments. I was reminded of the Cargo Cults I studied many years ago. I can't remember the details, but there was this belief system among indigineous New Guineans (I'm not sure of the region) who were mystified by the cargo that arrived for European colonists. All this great stuff just showed up. The Cargo Cults believed that if they usurp the colonists, all that great stuff would then come to them. I've probably mangled the details of the cargo cult, but I see the same mentality among the commenters: know clue about the science and source of global warming concern, and if they insist hard enough, it will just go away.

jg

2011-09-21 04:38:52jg
John Hartz
John Hartz
john.hartz@hotmail...

Thanks for the positive feedback. Keep in mind that "denial" is one the most commonly used defense mechanisms created by the human race. Having said that, most climate denial drones posting on comment threads let their idealogies (political or religious) blind them to reality. Lucky for us, not very many average people actually read the comment threads.