2011-08-17 23:45:49'simple' earth system image
jyyh
Otto Lehikoinen
otanle@hotmail...

Started to produce an idea that could incorporate some processes of the earth, carbon cycle could be partially also included.

http://www.skepticalscience.com/pics/simplesystemimage.PNG

As there are so many processes about earth, the image will become quite large if I continue this by adding arrows everywhere.

Is this something that should be pursued further, is there a need for such an 'all inclusive' -image and above all, where to get a safe, but better image processor than MS Paint, this is getting a bit tedious.

So how does it look, is it clear enough and should there be one picture (well it should be a banner) to get the big picture?

Previously tried this by drawing an A3-size quarter globe and included El Nino, IOD and a couple more systems, but it didn't have the formation of Antarctic bottom water (didn't even know of it by then). But here it is (though in an insert) :-)

2011-08-18 00:07:37
nealjking

nealjking@gmail...

I'm not getting a comprehensible message from this.

2011-08-18 00:35:18what message
jyyh
Otto Lehikoinen
otanle@hotmail...

no message involved, just the intention to get it all in one (smallish) picture, for example double headed ENSO arrow would be on the right bottom corner

2011-08-18 00:56:21
jg
John Garrett
garrjohn@gmail...

Jyyh: I would love to provide graphical assistance to your project. I'm working on similar images right now for a presentation I'm doing next week. Once next week is over, I'll have time to help.

Let me know. Thanks.

2011-08-18 02:01:33ah, should've known
jyyh
Otto Lehikoinen
otanle@hotmail...

there was someone here doing the same kind of stuff :-)

Thanks jg, trying to fit a 3D world on 2D image may be a bit too much for me :-). At least I immediately found out that the grey lines depicting climate zones should go vertical in the 'Pacific Ocean' to include any arrows depicting f.e. west boundary currents or the normal oceanic gyres (north atlantic, subpolar, Beaufort). The image just happened to come about so the 'north' is on the leftside. Maybe this would be better turned 90 degrees right. one idea was to divide the atmospheric and the ocean layers on the top to grid cells akin in a climate model then put in some arrows just to show the flows of radiation, water and carbon without the numbers as some do not like them. There should be the 5th large river Yangtse included (flowing to Pacific), I just scrambled some random lines for the other big 4. Thought of using some symbols (tree, algal scum, skull for disease and what not) in the depiction of the carbon cycle and the drilling tower is an example.

Further complication comes from the fact that ocean on earth are not isolated from each other, maybe the image should be larger and have arrows going outside the borders...

2011-08-18 03:07:32current
jyyh
Otto Lehikoinen
otanle@hotmail...

The current version, feel free to mimic or do better, whatever.

http://www.skepticalscience.com/pics/5_simplesystemimage.PNG

it's getting larger and more detailed but should still fit to most monitor backgrounds... :-).

Funny thing it seems to work somewhat even though the 'Indian Ocean' is in the wrong place... But today I found out theres no good place for Australia! She probably could be included as the largest island between the Pacific and the Indian nearest to the protruding cape, but now I'm not anymore sure if this is a good idea to continue with this. Probably I'm finishing it before submitting the 'final' version, if it ever gets finished...

2011-08-18 04:50:53
jg
John Garrett
garrjohn@gmail...

Hi Jyyh. I will try a few sketches of what you have and then you can decide if that is what you had in mind. I regret that I can't get to it right away, but I will get to it ,because I'm very eager to portray the climate system relationships you're describing here. I'll work from the simple to complex.

2011-08-20 02:26:21howdy.
jyyh
Otto Lehikoinen
otanle@hotmail...

still not to scale. Sorry I had to mirror image Australia to get her coasts facing the right oceans, but that's what may happen when one does not plan enough ahead... One could correct it by mirroring the whole image, but then one should mirror all the text too. Then it should be rotated by some 70 degrees to get the climate zones more properly oriented... Added some atmospheric phenomena in red.

http://www.skepticalscience.com/pics/7_simplesystemimage.PNG

2011-08-20 02:51:51
jg
John Garrett
garrjohn@gmail...

Though not to scale, what you have is fantastic. Keep at it.

2011-08-21 16:25:55this should probably
jyyh
Otto Lehikoinen
otanle@hotmail...

have been the first one submitted, feel free to delete the previous ones...

I can't figure out better orientation for Australia in this image than on this one. Added some features and hopefully some clarifying text. This is approaching what I had in mind, though much would yet need to be done on the carbon cycle part, there's now just the 'oceanic sedimentation' arrow near the 'dead zones'.

http://www.skepticalscience.com/pics/simplesystemimage8.PNG

2011-08-23 16:25:55current
jyyh
Otto Lehikoinen
otanle@hotmail...

corrected a couple of errors in the water cycle and added one part of the Carbon Cycle. yours truly maybe seen within it, but he likely gets erased in the future versions.

http://www.skepticalscience.com/pics/1_simplesystemimage8.PNG

The version with a bit of human influence on natural biotopes, relative areas are not accurate, one might get true numbers from FAO or some other organization. so here's something more one may want to do more precisely. Please don't delete the above image.

Geological Carbon cycle 'completed', includes coal and oil (well natural gas too), the top brown blotch are the unfound (or unexploitable) reserves and the reserves currently diminishing (the found and exploitable) are the lower brown blotch, not to scale.

http://www.skepticalscience.com/pics/1_simplesystemimage9.PNG

Still a bit more work on the carbon cycle components and then it's ready, probably there are other images (and more accurate) like this about but this is done from scratch solely by me so pesky copyright issues shouldn't become a problem...

Still not ready, added a couple of components, and moved the flabbergasted bicyclist aka me, to the correct position, near the subarctic. counted the squares possibly wrong so one 'field' is just approximately 16 million people.

http://www.skepticalscience.com/pics/1_simplesystemimage10.PNG

2011-08-24 18:34:01break.
jyyh
Otto Lehikoinen
otanle@hotmail...

I think this is pretty much it. Added the albedo-effect and OLR (outgoing longvawe radiation)-arrow.

http://www.skepticalscience.com/pics/simplesystemimage10cleansed.PNG

Please check it out and do tell if I missed some obvious systems, seasonal variations, oscillations and other regular phenomena that should be in there too. Didn't bother to do a animal migration arrow since food transport by humans are likely that much larger, it would be insignificant. Didn't find a good way to indicate diseases and pests like locusts, but the farmers of the world know they're there anyway.

Then, if its fine by John Cook, it might even be published. Happy Birthday SkS!

FM Otto "jyyh" L.

2011-08-25 01:04:32
jg
John Garrett
garrjohn@gmail...

I feel like a moth fixated on the light. I've been staring at your diagram with fascination. I'm still eager and challenged by the opportunity to portray this with some 3d perspective and some interactivity that will isolate various systems for clarity. It's a big project.

I didn't see the AMOC. I suspect it's in there, but I'd like a label for clarity. Or perhaps I just didn't find it, as you have a lot of information here.

2011-08-25 15:07:59that was a tough one.
jyyh
Otto Lehikoinen
otanle@hotmail...

Oops, what an oversight... :-) one could possibly have imagined the deepwater exchange between oceans to have been included somewhere in there...in the 3d-grid that isn't shown & I cannot draw. 

Since the surface ocean currents are displayed in the previous image already I added deeper flows of water in violet to a part of the image... layers are a good idea, I wish I was that proficient with computers. :-)

http://www.skepticalscience.com/pics/simplesystemimage10AMOC.PNG

I guess the color scheme should be unified as now there are three colors for water, two for air, two for fire (energy) and two for earth movements.

2011-08-25 21:55:44wrote a piece to go with it.
jyyh
Otto Lehikoinen
otanle@hotmail...

I'm not probably going to post this one on my blog, my intention was to upload it on a Public Domain, and I'm not sure if my blog is public enough. ;-)

And now something somewhat different
An M.Sc.(biochemistry) resident of Skeptical Science having studied environmental changes somewhat, who goes by the moniker 'jyyh' has used some of bit of his freetime over the last 2 weeks producing an image that may or may not help people with ambitions to build their own climate model. He wanted to try to depict the major components of the energy transfer on Earth in a simple laptop-screen sized png. There's so much happening on earth it is easy to forget something that may be affected by some other changes. Without further ado here's the image:

link.

Some unhelpful remarks of the image (by the author):
*the representation of the earth and surroundings is divided to no less than 15-18 layers on which there are some data about. If one discounts those not usually connected to climate variations one gets 15 layers. Possibly there should be a couple of more of those but the self-imposed requirement to get it under 1280*854 pixels lead to the fact that some may be missing (one may cut 5 pixels off of top and bottom).

*For the same reason, the major continents have been lumped together with some indications as to where the waters of the rivers flow.

*Since most of the Earth's systems are mirrored with respect to the equator more space has been saved by assuming the rather curious orientation of the North-Tropics-South.

*Them atmospheric layers above stratosphere have been omitted for their heat capacity isn't much.

*The carbon cycle in the image is very much incomplete, only the major recent changes are present.

*There are some speculative processes embedded, so it's not like this is a completely accurate and all-encompassing image.

*So, in order to get a climate model out of this one would have to quadruplicate the image, get the grid on top to go round the globe, separate the major continents to their correct locations, and solve the gridding problem on a 3D earth (f.e. by using a 3D Polar coordinate system), as the grid is currently oriented so it is regular on N-S direction and not in the E-W as it is on many current models. 5 degrees longitude on the equator is about 556,6 km while in S-Finland (where jyyh lives) it is only about 279 km. Good luck with the elliptical equations! The other possibility would be using some sort of regular polyhedron, but on this it is highly recommended to consult the appropriate skilled geodesists or mathematicians. 'jyyh's own estimate of the total number of grid cells present in a such model is about 38000, so someone with a lot of time and math skill might get this sort of thing running on a tabletop. Imagine saying you're a climate modeller! On equations consult the books on physics.

2011-08-26 01:07:30
jg
John Garrett
garrjohn@gmail...

May I borrow your illustration? I'm doing a climate/astronomy presentation this weekend (Julian Starfest) and I'd like to have your illustration ready in my quick reference section to show the complexity of climate. I'm not sure if I'll show it, but if the question comes up, then I will.

thanks,

jg

2011-08-26 02:35:26jg
jyyh
Otto Lehikoinen
otanle@hotmail...

OK by me, that's all pretty standard knowledge though a bit non-standard way of representing it. Most of what is shown was known already in 1998 when I took the courses (the 1st year of them) on Environmental Issues in the university. If one wants to include the carbon cycle in a presentation one almost has to include the anthropogenic influence on biotopes.

2011-08-27 16:44:41
jyyh
Otto Lehikoinen
otanle@hotmail...

Found an article http://rsta.royalsocietypublishing.org/content/367/1890/833.full

The neat picture within it shows many of the processes involved in modelling
http://rsta.royalsocietypublishing.org/content/367/1890/833/F1.large.jpg

contains also good images of the various grids, though they maybe copyrighted.

Then there's this paper http://www.eecs.umich.edu/~qstout/pap/ECMWF04.pdf describing a technique for decreasing the resolution of a model where it is not needed, as would be the case when large scale weather phenomena are stationary or predictable by other means.

2011-08-30 13:49:58The end for now
jyyh
Otto Lehikoinen
otanle@hotmail...

since there are no more comments on this one I'm going to download it on my blog. asked a friend of mine with quite a bit of graphics experience to help on an image in the same style with a real map of the world as the background. this may take a while to produce, and it will be quite a bit larger (say some 3500 px wide) as the info must be drawn in quadruplicate of many systems (quintuplicate for oceanic gyre), if it ever comes about, don't keep your hopes up on this one.

If the current image is OK for publication the text needs to be revised quite a bit, paraphrasing Monty Python and Hitchhikers Guide in the same post is of too poor taste even IMO.

Yours jyyh

2011-08-31 20:30:36there
jyyh
Otto Lehikoinen
otanle@hotmail...

if someone here needs it

http://erimaassa.blogspot.com/2011/08/task.html