2011-08-14 01:35:25Holy Mackerel!
John Hartz
John Hartz
john.hartz@hotmail...

Climate change affecting Atlantic mackerel

Published: Aug. 12, 2011 at 6:40 PM

NARRAGANSETT, R.I., Aug. 12 (UPI) -- Environmental factors have affected Atlantic mackerel from Cape Hatteras, N.C., to Newfoundland, shifting them northeast into shallower waters, researchers say.

Scientists with the National Oceanographic and Atmospheric Administration say mackerel, which migrate great distances on a seasonal basis to feed and spawn, are sensitive to changes in water temperature and the finding could have significant implications for U.S. commercial and recreational mackerel fishing activities that mostly occur during late winter and early spring.

"The continental shelf is warming, increasing the area over which the stock can be distributed, while at the same time the distribution of the stock is shifting northward," Jon Hare of NOAA's Northeast Fisheries Science Center in Narragansett, R.I., said. "Atlantic mackerel is one of many species shifting their distribution range as a result of changing oceanographic and environmental patterns."

The climate-driven shift in distribution patterns will likely make finding and catching Atlantic mackerel more difficult in certain areas in the future, he said.

© 2011 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Read more: http://www.upi.com/Science_News/2011/08/12/Climate-change-affecting-Atlantic-mackerel/UPI-36101313188851/print/#ixzz1UXw0jsp4
2011-08-16 01:28:08Holy indeed..
Hoskibui

hoskibui@gmail...

I first heard of mackerel in Icelandic terratory two - three years ago (it was visiting before that I reckon). Last year and this every fjord and creek has filled up with it in july-august. I actually went fishing with my wife from the Northwest shore of Iceland last weekend and we caught a dozen each.

2011-08-16 01:36:11
Dikran Marsupial
Gavin Cawley
gcc@cmp.uea.ac...

Easy to catch and very tasty, bad news for the southern extent of their range!