Science 5 August 2011:
Vol. 333 no. 6043 pp. 688-689
DOI: 10.1126/science.333.6043.688
  • News Focus

Science Education

Science Education

Climate Change Sparks Battles in Classroom

Summary

An informal survey this spring of 800 members of the National Earth Science Teachers Association (NESTA) found that climate change was second only to evolution in triggering protests from parents and school administrators. Online message boards for science teachers tell similar tales. Unlike biology teachers defending the teaching of evolution, however, earth science teachers don't have the protection of the First Amendment's language about religion. But the teachers feel their arguments are equally compelling: Science courses should reflect the best scientific knowledge of the day, and offering opposing views amounts to teaching poor science. Most science teachers don't relish having to engage this latest threat to their profession and resent devoting precious classroom time to a discussion of an alleged "controversy." And they believe that politics has no place in a science classroom. Even so, some are being dragged against their will into a conflict they fear could turn ugly.

2011-08-12 00:50:50
jg
John Garrett
garrjohn@gmail...

Thanks for sharing this. I've tried to insert a little climate into my astronomy presentations to schools. One student approached me after a presentation and asked if I believed in global warming. When I assured him it is the prevailing view, he took it as a victory and went on to explain that none of his friends believe in it. That's not surprising, given the conservative community I live in. If fact, before speaking at that school, I was asked to remove any material on the origin of Earth, just to avoid a conflict with creationists. For the following year, I was asked to remove some of the more complex concepts from my presentation, which can only be the climate section. Complexity and audience was the reason cited, which is believable.

jg

2011-08-12 02:13:10jg
John Hartz
John Hartz
john.hartz@hotmail...

The creationist in the US want nothing less than to repeal the Age of Enlightment.

2011-08-12 03:33:48
Ari Jokimäki

arijmaki@yahoo...

Just today I heard that there has been an official complaint made against a friend of mine who teaches in college (climate issues being one of the subjects he covers). Complaint was about him "advancing alarmism". One proof was that he participates to our group blog about climate science (which mostly is just a news blog about latest research). Irony here is that the stories he writes are among the most objective ones I have seen - even some deniers have thanked him for that.

2011-08-12 04:06:58The Attacks on Climate Science Education Are Picking Up Steam -- DeSmog Blog
John Hartz
John Hartz
john.hartz@hotmail...

Chris Mooney's article is down right scary.