2011-07-28 12:26:27Conservative, white men more likely to be climate change sceptics, study shows
John Hartz
John Hartz
john.hartz@hotmail...

These findings  do not surprise me.

2011-07-29 00:30:16
jg
John Garrett
garrjohn@gmail...

Nor does this surprise me, as I live and work in a cluster of white maleness, but what I find missing in these polls, or maybe it's missing from the reporting of them, is a question about what the people surveyed read. I'd like to ask how the get their science:

1) not applicable, 2) popular non-specialized media, 3) popular science media, 4) science journals.

It would probably be best to ask the respondents to name their sources and then have the reviewer catagorize the media.

By the way, I heard a poll cited this morning about Californians still believing 2:1 in climate change. No mention of what they read.

jg

2011-08-03 06:55:46these psychology studies are very important re skeptics
Stephen Leahy

writersteve@gmail...

FromThe Science of Why We Don't Believe Science

Our "reasoning" is a means to a predetermined end—winning our "case"—and is shot through with biases. They include "confirmation bias," in which we give greater heed to evidence and arguments that bolster our beliefs, and "disconfirmation bias," in which we expend disproportionate energy trying to debunk or refute views and arguments that we find uncongenial.

From David Roberts at Grist:

"Motivated cognition" refers to reasoning done in service of justifying an already held belief or goal. It helps explain why the CWM who know the most about climate science are the most likely to reject it; they learn about it in order to reject it.

Stuff white people like: denying climate change

2011-08-04 02:38:07Back then...
John Hartz
John Hartz
john.hartz@hotmail...

When I went to high school (1957-61) in the US, there were two tracks for every student, i.e., college prep and shop. I suspect that many of the white climate deniers in the US in the baby-boom generation took the shop track and had sucessful blue collar careers. Perhaps they have a deep-seated resentment against the college entrance crowd?

2011-08-05 01:06:40
jg
John Garrett
garrjohn@gmail...

Badger: I can't speak for those of white/blue collar baby-boom age, but for my own experience, the division is described perfectly by "white male conservative." I work with many college-educated white males, engineering types, who have various mechanisms for not accepting the science: 1) it's political, a well-educated, brilliant person notes that climate change belief falls along political lines, therefore he is skeptical of taking an opinion; 2) poor research skills; another intelligent engineer doesn't recognize science from an ABC news interview with a crackpot sharing his sun-weather link; 3) libertarian, a Cato institute supporters considers Patrick Michaels the Galileo of our time (and Fox News the only reliable media).

And these are just the intelligent ones.

jg

2011-08-05 01:40:10jg
John Hartz
John Hartz
john.hartz@hotmail...

You should know that I received a Bachelor of Civil Engineering degree in 1961. You are right though, professional engineers in the US tend to be conservative. Is that the case in other countries?