2011-07-24 05:01:06Summary of "skeptical" scientist admissions?
Dawei

dlbrooks87@gmail...

Sometimes when I'm debating I get the "it's crazy that humans think they could change the planet's climate" argument. In such times I would like to be able to pull out a number of prominent skeptics (Spencer, Lindzen, Monckton, etc.) who have stated that a doubling of CO2 would cause a 1 C warming in absence of any feedbacks. I believe most skeptical scientists generally agree with that, right? But this point seems to be lost on those 'skeptics' who think the effect of doubling CO2 would be exactly 0.

A summary of quotes from a number of skeptics stating they believe there would be at least some warming could be a useful rebuttal. Yeah?

2011-07-24 05:16:15
Rob Honeycutt

robhon@mac...

Dawei...  I long ago abandoned the idea that I was ever going to change the mind of anyone I debated with online.  I use that exact same argument very often, though.  It's a very strong argument and one well worth repeating.

Bear in mind that you're unlikely to change the mind of the person you're debating with.  The important part of the debate is the opportunity to change the mind of someone else who might be reading reading your comments.

When I comment I try very hard to keep in mind that the people NOT commenting are my audience.  Not the person who I'm debating with.

In fact, I think it's even helpful if you can make that person you're debating look intransigent in the face of polite presentation of facts and clear scientific references.

2011-07-24 07:44:11
Dawei

dlbrooks87@gmail...

Rob, I have always thought that as well. Particularly on the forum that I've been using lately, there was a recent poll showing that about 50% of the forum's members are unsure about climate change. That is what keeps me going.

2011-07-24 07:58:27
Rob Honeycutt

robhon@mac...

Dawei...  Wow.  That's great to hear.  I spend most of my time posting on Youtube and I try to stick to climate related videos that I see are getting lots of views in order maximize the audience my comments might be reaching.  But I kind of have to rely on small clues that I'm having any impact.  Those usually come in the way of infrequent thank-you's on my channel page.

2011-07-24 08:10:02
dana1981
Dana Nuccitelli
dana1981@yahoo...

Dawei, see here.  Short answer - we started putting together a database of "skeptics" debunking "skeptic" myths.  But we need people to actually put in the time to fill in the database.  It's barely started at this point.