2011-07-20 03:39:48News Corp and the Hacked Climategate Emails: Time for an Independent Investigation
Albatross
Julian Brimelow
stomatalaperture@gmail...

Is Rom perhaps onto something here?

Yes, I know, conspiracyt theory and all that.  But it does make one wonder....or at least, it should.

2011-07-20 04:21:17
dana1981
Dana Nuccitelli
dana1981@yahoo...

Doesn't seem all that implausible to me.  I do recall reading back at the time that Scotland Yard was involved in the Climategate hacking investigation.  Phone hacking is quite different than computer network hacking, but there's no doubt that News Corp had the motive to try and introduce climate 'controversy'.

"In the light of the News Corp phone-hacking scandal, it is clear that Murdoch’s outfit had means, motive, and opportunity for the Climategate email hacking.  News Corp certainly has a history of defaming climate scientists and a penchant for hacking."

I agree it's worth an independent investigation.  Turn the tables and investigate some 'skeptics' for once.

2011-07-20 04:59:23
Rob Honeycutt

robhon@mac...

I have to say, I'm not optimistic that anything will ever come from this.  Computer hacking is extremely hard, if not impossible, to trace.  There is likely no evidence to go on.  They only way anything will come out on this is if someone in the circle of people who committed the crime comes forward to blow the whistle.  That has to be a very small circle of people and it requires one of them to have a crisis of conscience.

I think Murdock is pretty skilled at purging people of conscience.

2011-07-20 06:23:00
dana1981
Dana Nuccitelli
dana1981@yahoo...

Actually, it looks like News Corp (specifically News America) has a history of computer hacking as well.

In 2009, a federal case in New Jersey brought by a company called Floorgraphics went to trial, accusing News America of, wait for it, hacking its way into Floorgraphics’s password protected computer system.

The complaint summed up the ethos of News America nicely, saying it had “illegally accessed plaintiff’s computer system and obtained proprietary information” and “disseminated false, misleading and malicious information about the plaintiff.”  

Sound familiar?

2011-07-20 06:31:34
Rob Honeycutt

robhon@mac...

OMG.  From that article...

"Much of the lawsuit was based on the testimony of Robert Emmel, a former News America executive who had become a whistle-blower. After a few days of testimony, the News Corporation had heard enough. It settled with Floorgraphics for $29.5 million and then, days later, bought it, even though it reportedly had sales of less than $1 million." 

2011-07-20 06:59:20My take
John Hartz
John Hartz
john.hartz@hotmail...

News Corp most likely bribed someone on the EA staff to gain access to the system and/or download the email file onto a memory stick.

2011-07-20 07:33:29
Rob Honeycutt

robhon@mac...

It's a pretty small staff there at the CRU.

2011-07-20 10:29:38Out of curiousity...
John Hartz
John Hartz
john.hartz@hotmail...

what media first broke the news about the CRU emails?l

2011-07-23 21:47:59
James Wight

jameswight@southernphone.com...

DeSmogBlog did a detailed article on the origins of the "Climategate story":

Badger, the story broke on blogs like The Blackboard and Watts Up With That. Among the first in the mainstream media to report it were Andrew Bolt, James Delingpole, the BBC, and Fox News.

2011-07-23 22:08:44
grypo

gryposaurus@gmail...

The files were posted on blogs WUWT, Air Vent, Climate Audit, and Statpad.  Stapad (romanM, a CA mod) was a blog that was hardly used.  This suggests that either the hacker or whoever recieved the files from the hacker had an intimate knowledge of the skeptic blogs.  The three days following the initial post from the hacker are interesting.

Read parts 1,2,3 of this 

http://bigjournalism.com/pcourrielche/2010/01/08/peer-to-peer-review-how-climategate-marks-the-maturing-of-a-new-science-movement-part-i/

and 

http://wattsupwiththat.com/2010/01/13/climategate%E2%80%94the-ctm-story/

While we can't say who actually broke the law, or paid for it to be broken, there is a small group of bloggers we know well who are unabashedly responsible for how it was initially reported.

[A lot is happening behind the scenes. It is not being ignored. Much is being coordinated among major players and the media. Thank you very much. You will notice the beginnings of activity on other sites now. Here soon to follow. ~ ctm]

Steve Mosher is my roommate. So I saw him sweating on the phone with Steve McIntyre for a day and a half while I was calmly making coffee in the kitchen espousing patience. 

. The Climategate files were under the fierce scrutiny of the peer-to-peer review network at both The Blackboard and WattsUpWithThat. The origin of the term Climategate can even be tracked to the commenters of their first blog posts. By the time the story would reach the mainstream media, the peer-to-peer reviewers had already authenticated, named, packaged, and wrapped up the files in a nice little bow for the news outlets to either ignore or build upon. Within days, the files were fully searchable on the web for the reviewers to comb.

2011-07-25 04:10:56
perseus

owlsmoor@googlemail...

Was Neil Wallace a double agent when hired by the UEA as he was with the Metropolitan Police?  I'm not sure if this is more embarrassing for UEA or the Denier lobby since it hardly reflects sound judgment!

Hacking Scandal - Neil Wallis Connection To The CLIMATE GATE HACKED EMAILS 2009.

How Murdoch’s Times of London and Fox News Coordinate Their Deceitful Reporting on Climate Change