2011-07-13 04:06:59Skeptical Science promotes natural gas?
Andy S

skucea@telus...

I stumbled upon this this morning:

Global warming believers for natural gas

"No hot air" is a site run by a British energy consultant, Nick Grealy, that promotes shale gas. It is not to be confused with "Without the hot air" which is a book on alternative energy written by David MacKay, a physicist and currently Chief Scientist at the UK's Department of Energy and Climate Change.

Basically, Grealy takes Dana's rebuttal post on "it's too hard" and gives SkS an attaboy for favourably quoting Pacala and Socolow when they say, among other things, that one of the wedges should be gas replacing coal. Grealy suggests that we get with the times and acknowledge shale gas as the panacea that he thinks it is.

It's a little late (the original post was back in May) but Dana or someone else (not me) might want to comment. The site doesn't get many comments, so I'm sure that any comment will get a response.

2011-07-13 04:34:07
Paul D

chillcast@googlemail...

Obviously someone who has set themselves up a consultant, because they don't have anything better to do.

The Global Warming Policy Foundation is a skeptic organisation (and their web site seems to be down??) mentioned at the start, which suggests he is conning people.

But wikipedia page is still up:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_Warming_Policy_Foundation

2011-07-13 04:46:31
Paul D

chillcast@googlemail...

The choice of colour text for the comments box on that site is appalling and goes against even the most basic accessibility rules.

I submitted a comment but nothing appeared to happen. Posted this:

Shale gas bigger greenhouse gas contributor than coal:
Robert Howarth, Cornell University in Ithaca, New York.
[LINK=http://www.springerlink.com/content/e384226wr4160653/]Methane and the greenhouse-gas footprint of natural gas from shale formations[/LINK]

Probably won't appear, since I don't know if the submission button worked.

2011-07-13 04:55:54
Andy S

skucea@telus...

The GWPF shale gas report was written by Matt Ridley (whom I have just written a three-part series on) with a foreword by none other than Freeman Dyson. As far as I know, there is no connection between Grealy and GWPF.

Yes, the GWPF site is down but you can download a copy of Ridley's report here.

2011-07-13 05:42:02
dana1981
Dana Nuccitelli
dana1981@yahoo...

I tried to comment - Paul's went through, so there's probably just a moderation delay.  I basically said that just because we're discussing a study which included a 'wedge' of natural gas doesn't mean we're 'promoting' natural gas.  I was just reporting on the study.  But natural gas probably will play a significant role in replacing coal, especially if the industry can get rogue emissions during mining under control.

2011-07-13 06:31:37
Paul D

chillcast@googlemail...

He has posted your comment Dana and reponded with his own comment.

I was going to reply to his comment, but after 3 attempts at writing something rational, decided not to.

2011-07-13 07:02:14
Paul D

chillcast@googlemail...

Actualy I did post another comment. It isn't very flattering. But then I don't consider his web site very helpful.