2011-07-09 01:25:38Is SKS eligible for this?
Robert Way

robert_way19@hotmail...

I wonder would SKS have some eligibility for this:

http://www.nserc-crsng.gc.ca/Prizes-Prix/SciencePromotion-PromotionScience/About-Apropos_eng.asp

http://www.nserc-crsng.gc.ca/Prizes-Prix/SciencePromotion-PromotionScience/Nomination-Nomination_eng.asp

Would be great if it was.

2011-07-09 01:29:40Eligibility requirements
nealjking

nealjking@gmail...

Eligibility

Any individual, organization or company within Canada may be nominated for the award. Nominees will have made a successful and sustained effort to encourage public interest in, and an understanding of, the natural sciences and engineering (including math and technology) outside the formal education system.

=============================

Seems unlikely that SkS would qualify.

2011-07-09 01:59:08
Paul D

chillcast@googlemail...

I think John was applying for some Australian funding, but I don't know how far it got.

2011-07-09 02:17:01In an ideal world...
John Hartz
John Hartz
john.hartz@hotmail...

SkS would incoprate as SkS Internaitonal and then create country-specific SkS subsidiaries such as SkS-Canada.

Perhaps SkS could hold virtual "bake sales" to generate funds?  

Seriously, SkS should periodically launch donation drives.

I also belieive that each SkS author should contribute at least $100 annually. 

JC should also set-up a system whereby donors could give $xx per month automatically via credit card.

2011-07-09 02:30:03Donations...
BaerbelW

baerbel-for-350@email...

....are already possible, both as one-offs and monthly donations via paypal: http://www.skepticalscience.com/donate.php

The link is available on each page.

Update:
About SkS authors contributing a fixed $ amount per year - if at all, this should be something completely voluntary and be up to each contributor's discretion. The SkS-Team as a whole is contributing a lot in terms of time, enthusiam and work, which cannot be really converted to hard currency but which is just as important (if not even more so).

2011-07-09 08:31:12Donations situation
John Cook

john@skepticalscience...
I've just applied for a climate communication job at the Uni of Qld. If I get the job, it will be a bit of a game changer for SkS. I'll have less time but I'll also have institutional support which could open up outreach and collaborative possibilities for SkS. Overall, the positives should far outweigh the negatives. But it will mean change which is always painful (I like how things are now except for our suffering financial situation). And I have no idea how SkS will be affected yet, that remains to be seen.

So discussion of donations is premature at the moment because everything might change in a few weeks. If I get the job, I personally won't need donations to support myself. So then the question is do we continue donations and share it among authors or spend it on SkS expenses like press releases? I have no clue and speculation is premature until I find out more about the job.

Must admit, not a big fan of SkS donating - would rather they got paid for their troubles. Maybe we can make that happen somehow one day.

2011-07-09 08:37:35
Albatross
Julian Brimelow
stomatalaperture@gmail...

Best of luck John, I do hope that you get the job! 

IMHO you would be a perfct candidate, and your brilliant web skills would be a huge bonus.

2011-07-09 09:26:16For the record
John Hartz
John Hartz
john.hartz@hotmail...

I suggested that SkS authors be expected to donate a minimal amount annually based on what I experienced in the Sierra Club. If you serve as a member of the Executive Committee of a state chapter, you are expected to make a minimum contribution to the chapter each year. I supect that many other non-profit organizations have similar policies.

2011-07-09 19:03:38Painful Change
Glenn Tamblyn

glenn@thefoodgallery.com...

Yes it is easy to think of change as painful. However change is also an opportunity. And compared to the changes we need to make to REALLY deal with AGW (or the changes we can't avoid if we DON'T), this seems trivial. I am currently considering possible changes to my personal living circumstances to prepare for what the future might hold.

This also has a bearing on our discussion about mission statements. Perhaps our mission needs to take into account the possibility of SkS having a core mission of transforming SkS into something capable of taking on greater missions.

I think it is time to think deeply about how we can take the energy of everyone here to leverage and leverage and leverage our efforst to achieve more.

And yes Badger, I can see where you are coming from wrt to Mission statements and trying to bring focus to what can seem like the problem of herding some cats. How do we combine rigour, focus, clarity, etc with the agility needed to adapt to changing circumstances, and also the opportunities that change offers?

2011-07-09 20:14:20
Paul D

chillcast@googlemail...

I think asking authors to pay for the privilege of writing an article smacks of corrupt corporate practice.
People put hours of their spare unpaid time to write something that is largely untainted by money and are then expected to pay a fee to get it published. If that happened then that person would want more influence over the direction in which SkS went.

I question whether you would get the people you want writing with such a scheme. A lot of people that are keen on the subject do not have a big income to support them because it isn't very profitable as things stand today. People that 'donate' money, tend to want their views be heard above others or believe they should influence decisions.

If you want funding then it is better to find it from neutral sources.

Maybe if John (or the management) applies for funding, then the application could be discussed on the forum. advise from members may improve the prospects of winning??

2011-07-09 20:49:15
Paul D

chillcast@googlemail...

This might be useful, although you would need to go to an Australian library to see a free copy of the list:

http://www.philanthropy.org.au/publications/directory.html

2011-07-09 23:44:35Glenn Tamblyn
John Hartz
John Hartz
john.hartz@hotmail...

Well said. Flexibility and creativity should be our watch-words.

2011-07-09 23:50:26Paul D
John Hartz
John Hartz
john.hartz@hotmail...

Your response to my suggestiona about authors making a financial contribution to SkS is a bit of overkill in my opinion.

BTW, I made the suggesition before knowing that John Cook had a good crack at landing a job paying a living wage. Think about it.

2011-07-09 23:52:45@ Glenn
Daniel Bailey
Daniel Bailey
yooper49855@hotmail...

An excellent and eye-opening resource on dealing with change is Spencer Johnson's book "Who Moved My Cheese?"

Highly recommended.  Themes from the book:

Change Happens
They Keep Moving The Cheese

Anticipate Change
Get Ready For The Cheese To Move

Monitor Change
Smell The Cheese Often So You Know When It Is Getting Old

Adapt To Change Quickly
The Quicker You Let Go Of Old Cheese, The Sooner You Can Enjoy New Cheese

Change
Move With The Cheese

Enjoy Change!
Savor The Adventure And Enjoy The Taste Of New Cheese!

Be Ready To Change Quickly And Enjoy It Again
They Keep Moving The Cheese.
2011-07-10 00:15:14
nealjking

nealjking@gmail...

Not so highly recommended:

They keep changing the way they change things so much that I can't figure out what changed

Blue Cheese

Change on the dark side of the Moon

Someone keeps putting LSD in my cheese