2011-07-06 21:36:27is there something wrong here
jyyh
Otto Lehikoinen
otanle@hotmail...

Mike Hulme at http://theconversation.edu.au/youve-been-framed-six-new-ways-to-understand-climate-change-2119

“The overwhelming scientific evidence tells us that human greenhouse gas emissions, land use changes and aerosol pollution are all contributing to regional and global climate changes, which exacerbate the changes and variability in climates brought about by natural causes. Because humans are contributing to climate change, it is happening now and in the future for a much more complex set of reasons than in previous human history."

..."And it emphasises that the interplay between human and natural effects on climate are complex and that this complexity is novel."...

..."Yet there are important aspects of scientific knowledge about the climate system that are accommodating to more nuanced interpretations of uncertainty and which open up more diverse sets of policy strategies."

Fine. I got some complexes from this and my policy strategy today is that I will drive everywhere today. Thanks Mike for letting me off the hook and quite complexed even if it is just for today. Beware ye people out there, I'm going driving!

2011-07-06 22:09:32jyyh
John Hartz
John Hartz
john.hartz@hotmail...

On the other hand, here's the "takeaway" from Hulme's article:

Framing effects around climate change are very powerful. My recent speaking tour of Australia and my book Why We Disagree About Climate Change focused on this – and why it matters.

In particular, I suggested six powerful frames through which climate change is presented in public discourse:

• climate change as market failure,
  • as technological risk,
  • as global injustice,
  • as over consumption,
  • as mostly natural,
  • as planetary “tipping points”.
2011-07-07 06:00:27only 1 hour left of this day
jyyh
Otto Lehikoinen
otanle@hotmail...

Yeah yeah, if it's 'mostly natural' for me to drive everywhere, why shouldn't I do it? ;-P . But sure there are some points he makes. In fact I may celebrate this natural way of moving around by driving to the cottage tomorrow by myself to look if there's some sand left on the beach. And maybe clean the roof off the moss, lichen and algae, because 'it's not natural' to have the roof growing stuff. The decisions we have to make. But anyway there's no connections anywhere, but by a private road, or a boat, no phone, net and such, only a radio, so it's a nice retreat (must take fresh water with me since the well is salted and food (the soil is too thin to grow anything there)) for at least 100 years to come, if the owner (a relative) doesn't sell it. Yes, one of those small cottages by the Baltic. Almost looking forward to this.

2011-07-07 07:46:49
Rob Painting
Rob
paintingskeri@vodafone.co...

Twaddle is the apt word to describe that piece. Discussed over at Hot Topic. A better title would have been "Gone soft in the head".