2011-07-06 23:36:15The "Gold Standards" of Climate Science
John Hartz
John Hartz
john.hartz@hotmail...

The lenghty discussion occuring at Why does this paper use HadCRUT as it's 'global' record? prompts me to ask:

Doesn't the scientific community recognize GISSTEMP as the "gold standard" database for computing global surface temperature?

If not, why not?  

And:

Does the scientific community recognize the WMO as the international body responsible for setting the "gold standards" used in climate science. (Based on what I have read, it appears that the IPCC does.)

If not, why not?

Finally,

Should this ball-of-wax be addressed in an SkS article?

2011-07-07 01:55:34
Dikran Marsupial
Gavin Cawley
gcc@cmp.uea.ac...

The reason is that uncertainties cannot and should not be ignored.  Ideally papers would repeat the analysis for all of the principal datasets and quote the range of results obtained to demonstrate the analysis is robust to such choices.  Failing that, you should always use the dataset that makes your case least strongly - over claiming the significance of your findings is a cardinal sin of science, and that sort of approach is a good way of guarding against such an error.

2011-07-07 02:24:57
dana1981
Dana Nuccitelli
dana1981@yahoo...

From what I've read, because of the GISS extrapolation/weighting method (the 1200 km thing), HadCRUT is considered a more accurate direct measure of temperatures, while GISS is considered more of a model of global temperature.

The way I look at it, HadCRUT is more precise with the data they have, while GISTemp is a more accurate model of global temperature, since we don't have enough temperature stations in the Arctic.  I don't think either is considered the "gold standard", but HadCRUT seems to be used a lot more often.

2011-07-07 02:42:17Dikran
John Hartz
John Hartz
john.hartz@hotmail...

Seems to me that "uncertaintities" is an entirely separate issue than recognizing that one surface temeprature dataset is the "gold standard" for climate science.

2011-07-07 02:46:49Dana
John Hartz
John Hartz
john.hartz@hotmail...

Thanks for the clarification. What about the role of the WMO?

2011-07-07 05:31:53
Dikran Marsupial
Gavin Cawley
gcc@cmp.uea.ac...

badgersouth - the fact that there is more than one surface temperature datset is a tacit admission that there is uncertainty regarding how surface temperature should be measured, even before you get to the uncertainty in the measurements themselves.  They are different sourts of uncertainty, but both are relevant to the robustness of the conclusions that can be drawn from any analysis of surface temperatures.