2011-06-19 05:44:57Wikipedia Wars
John Cook

john@skepticalscience...

Got this from a climate scientist on a group I'm on:

folks--just a heads up. for those of you looking for ways to help out in the online climate disinformation war, one thing to consider is getting involved in wikipedia. right now deniers seem to outnumber reasonable people in the wikipedia editing wars of climate change-themed wikipedia pages. many disputes are handled by a vote of active wikipedia participants, and the deniers have been winning many of these.

this is most evident in anything related to 'climategate', the "hockey stick', and the personal webpages of prominent players (both legitimate scientists and deniers/disinformers).
you might want to take a look yourself and see what I'm talking about. the discussions are *way* out of balance.  Wikipedia is perhaps the most widely used resource on the web for getting basic, background information on a topic, and the deniers understand that. that is why they have put quite a bit of effort into distorting climate-change related content on the site, and to maintaining that distorted content in the face of efforts by reasonable people to restore some accuracy and balance.
the good news here is that it doesn't take a whole lot of people to make a difference. if you look at the "talk" pages, you'll see some familiar names, e.g. John Mashey (thanks to John for all of his efforts here!). But John alone can't do very much here. There needs to be a small army of do-gooders helping out.
so to any of you who think you might be willing to help out, I (and I think I speak for many of my climate scientist colleagues) would be very much obliged
2011-06-19 05:55:52
nealjking

nealjking@gmail...

This would really be an important effort. I think Google uses Wikipedia as their first line on a lot of topics.

2011-06-19 19:42:59
James Wight

jameswight@southernphone.com...

I thought “do-gooders” was a derogatory term?

2011-06-19 20:47:31
nealjking

nealjking@gmail...

James,

It's often used ironically. But the question should be, What did the writer have in mind?