2011-06-14 02:12:22Atmospher­ic Carbon Dioxide and Aerosols: Effects of Large Increases on Global Climate -- Blog Post Issue
John Hartz
John Hartz
john.hartz@hotmail...

A climate denier blooger just posted the below on the comment thread to "Are Progressives in Denial About Climate Change?" Huffington Post,

Is the Rasool and Schneider paper cited in the blog post explicitly addressed in a SkS article?

S.I. Rasool, a colleague of Mr. James E. Hansen's at the National Aeronautic­s and Space Administra­tion. The article goes on to say that Mr. Rasool came to his chilling conclusion­s by resorting in part to a new computer program developed by Mr. Hansen that studied clouds above Venus.

"Atmospher­ic Carbon Dioxide and Aerosols: Effects of Large Increases on Global Climate," 1971 authors were from "Institute for Space Studies, Goddard Space Flight Center, National Aeronautic­s and Space Administra­tion” (Dr. S.I. Rasool and S. H. Schneider)

"Effects on the global temperatur­e of large increases in carbon dioxide and aerosol densities in the atmosphere of Earth have been computed. It is found that, although the addition of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere does increase the surface temperatur­e, the rate of temperatur­e increase diminishes with increasing carbon dioxide in the atmosphere­. For aerosols, however, the net effect of increase in density is to reduce the surface temperatur­e of Earth. Because of the exponentia­l dependence of the backscatte­ring, the rate of temperatur­e decrease is augmented with increasing aerosol content. An increase by only a factor of 4 in global aerosol background concentrat­ion may be sufficient to reduce the surface temperatur­e by as much as 3.5 ° K. If sustained over a period of several years, such a temperatur­e decrease over the whole globe is believed to be sufficient to trigger an ice age."

2011-06-14 02:48:13Stop the press!
John Hartz
John Hartz
john.hartz@hotmail...

I found what I was looking for, ie., They predicted an ice age in the 70's

2011-06-14 03:00:59
dana1981
Dana Nuccitelli
dana1981@yahoo...

Also Christy Crock #1.  I specifically talked about the Rasool paper there (and incorporated it into the Intermediate rebuttal in your link).

Hansen played a very small role in the paper.  Basically he did some computer programming which Rasool used.  It's like saying Bill Gates is responsible for the documents I write in Microsoft Word.  Well, that's not the best analogy, but you get the picture :-)  Hansen had nothing to do with the assumptions made in the paper, or the conclusions that were based on those assumptions.