2011-06-13 00:49:11Paradigm Shifts in Convection and Water Vapor? -- Science of Doom
John Hartz
John Hartz
john.hartz@hotmail...

Today's missive from the Science of Doom begins with: 

During a discussion following one of the six articles on Ferenc Miskolczi someone pointed to an article in E&E (Energy & Environment). I took a look and had a few questions.

The article is question is The Thermodynamic Relationship Between Surface Temperature And Water Vapor Concentration In The Troposphere, by William C. Gilbert from 2010. I'll call this WG2010. I encourage everyone to read the whole paper for themselves.

Actually this E&E edition is a potential collector's item because they announce it as: Special Issue - Paradigms in Climate Research.

The author comments in the abstract:

The key to the physics discussed in this paper is the understanding of the relationship between water vapor condensation and the resulting PV work energy distribution under the influence of a gravitational field.

Which sort of implies that no one studying atmospheric physics has considered the influence of gravitational fields, or at least the author has something new to offer which hasn't previously been understood.

My questions:

1. Has the Gilbert paper been addressed in a SkS post? If so, which one(s)?
  2. If not, should it be?
2011-06-13 01:10:58
nealjking

nealjking@gmail...

I hardly think it has enough content to be worth the trouble.

SoD has already analyzed it, and located several simple calculational errors.