2011-06-13 17:11:18Climate Change teaching in English schools
Paul D

chillcast@googlemail...

The BBC commented on a Guardian article this morning. Here is the Guardian article:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/2011/jun/12/climate-change-curriculum-government-adviser

Apparently Tim Oates is going to (possibly) advise the government to remove climate change from the school curriculum in England (I think Scotland do their own thing, and I'm not sure if it includes Wales and Northern Island).

Probably early days yet, since the report hasn't been released.

But the worrying comment is that Tim Oates has labelled it as an 'issue' rather than science.

2011-06-13 17:32:23
Rob Painting
Rob
paintingskeri@vodafone.co...

One of these days these fools will come to appreciate that this is not an observer-dependant reality - like Roadrunner and Wiley Coyote cartoons. We don't remain suspended in mid-air, just because we haven't yet realized we're over the cliff edge.

2011-06-13 17:39:30
Paul D

chillcast@googlemail...

Spotted this in the article summarising what Tim Oates had said:

"...topics that engaged children in science "changed dramatically" from year to year. "The national curriculum shouldn't ever try to keep up with those, otherwise it would keep changing." Teachers knew best which current affairs topics related to science would interest their pupils, he said"

Actually the teachers job is to take a subject and make it interesting even if it is boring.

How can climate change be boring?
Is flooding boring?
Is species extinction and migration boring?

2011-06-13 17:52:05
Paul D

chillcast@googlemail...

More info here about the curriculum review.

http://www.education.gov.uk/inthenews/multimedia/a0073336/the-national-curriculum-review

According to the timetable there will be a public consultation in 2012. So maybe that's the time to get the troops out and get voices heard (if the recomendation is negative).

2011-06-13 18:06:56
Paul D

chillcast@googlemail...

I've alerted some of my local contacts in the UK. Hopefully, the news will be proved to be untrue or distorted. However I think there is a good chance that action can be taken since we have advanced notice.

2011-06-13 18:49:22
nealjking

nealjking@gmail...

Tim Oates may have a (narrow) point: If you're really trying to teach scientific principles, climate change isn't a scientific principle, but rather a consequence.

However, to eliminate it from the curriculum on these grounds certainly leaves the door open to suppression of the topic. And all children live on the earth, and are affected by climate.

I think it would be good to keep pushing him on this; in particular, he should 'fess up to what he really thinks.