2011-06-07 14:08:42SkS Press Release - Lindzen Illusions & Christy Crocks
dana1981
Dana Nuccitelli
dana1981@yahoo...

Feedback is requested on this press release.

________________________________________________________________________________________

SkepticalScience MediaRelease

Christy Crocks      Lindzen Illusions

http://sks.to/christy   http://sks.to/lindzen

Because there are so few climate scientists who are skeptical that humans are causing dangerous climate change, the few climate scientist “skeptics” are very frequently referenced by those seeking to deny the dangers of and delay the solutions to global warming. Two of the most oft-cited climate scientist “skeptics” are Dr. Richard Lindzen of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), and Dr. John Christy of the University of Alabama at Huntsville (UAH).

Skeptical Science has examined in detail the scientific arguments put forth by these two prominent “skeptic” scientists to determine if they present a coherent, consistent, and plausible alternative to the man-made global warming theory. We have found that although these two scientists have proposed a mostly consistent alternative hypothesis, it consists of little more than a flimsy house of cards, with each scientifically flawed claim built upon several other fundamentally flawed arguments. In fact, every single argument forming the basis of their alternative hypothesis is refuted by the body of empirical, observational climate science evidence.

Skeptical Science has created a comprehensive resource cataloguing and refuting the climate myths put forth by these two prominent “skeptic” scientists, entitled “Christy Crocks” and “Lindzen Illusions”.

Christy Crocks (150 x 53 pixels)             Lindzen Illusions (150 x 53 pixels)

For more information, contact:

John Cook

Webmaster, Skeptical Science

Phone +61 7 3882 3208 (Australia)

Email john@skepticalscience.com

Web www.skepticalscience.com

2011-06-07 14:24:34Also any suggestions on where to send the press release
John Cook

john@skepticalscience...

Eg: http://www.prweb.com/ or http://www.i-newswire.com/ - I've never used any of them so any tips on the best approach? Do we hit many press release distributors or just a select few?

2011-06-07 14:53:18
Albatross
Julian Brimelow
stomatalaperture@gmail...

Very quickly,

Excellent work!  Some nit picks.  I do not like the Top Banner. Why not use the offical SkS logo [see below, use appropriate backgrounsd so text does not look goofy and drop the "Forum", of course-- can you tell I'm rushed ;)], or simply use the same font colour?

Maybe consider using the buttons instead of the URL or show the buttons first under the name with the short URL in brackets below?

Not sure on best media strategy.  What about EurekAlert (probably costs money though?

"We have found that although these two scientists have proposed a mostly consistent alternative hypothesis..."

Are you sure you meant to say that...aren't their arguments sometimes internally inconsistent or contradictory?

I'm assuming that is not John's home phone?  Who will see this?  Don't want cranks calling....or worse.

2011-06-07 15:02:11
dana1981
Dana Nuccitelli
dana1981@yahoo...

I just copied the Politicians Myths press release into Word.  I'm going to let John make it pretty :-)  I presume he's okay with the phone # since it came from the other press release.

It's true that Christy and Lindzen contradict themselves, but you can form a mostly consistent alternative hypothesis from their arguments, which was the basis of Lindzen Illusion #7 and the Christy summary post.  But maybe I should add a mention that they do contradict themselves too.

2011-06-07 15:39:58Hmm, home phone on press release
John Cook

john@skepticalscience...

Actually, I'll take the phone # off. That's my home phone # (so no calls at the middle of the night from any North American or European SkSers!) and this press release will be going online rather than directly to media types.

2011-06-07 15:53:47
Rob Painting
Rob
paintingskeri@vodafone.co...

What about Dana's home phone number?

2011-06-07 16:49:07Not a good idea
John Cook

john@skepticalscience...

These are going on the web. You don't want home personal details going online where anyone can access them.

2011-06-07 17:09:57
Rob Painting
Rob

Sorry JC, it was a bit of sarcasm. Couldn't think of anything worse than putting one's home phone number out into the blogosphere.

2011-06-07 18:31:28Ah humour
John Cook

john@skepticalscience...
The Internet strikes again! Throw in a few smiley faces next time, so I know you're joking :-)
2011-06-08 01:13:46
dana1981
Dana Nuccitelli
dana1981@yahoo...

Rob = smartass!

2011-06-08 01:27:37Press Release Format
John Hartz
John Hartz
john.hartz@hotmail...

You might want to check out how Oxfam International format's it press releases. For an example, go to:

http://www.oxfam.org/en/grow/pressroom/pressrelease/2011-06-06/developing-countries-pledge-bigger-climate-emissions-cuts-worlds-r

My advice: Use color fonts (especially psatels) sparingly. 

2011-07-02 10:34:15Out of curiousity,,,
John Hartz
John Hartz
john.hartz@hotmail...

Was this draft prees release ever finalized and released? If so, did it get picked up by any media outlets? Was it posted on ENS?

2011-07-02 10:45:54Why I ask...
John Hartz
John Hartz
john.hartz@hotmail...

I posed the above question because I know that issuing press releases is a relatively low-cost way of spreading the word about a specific issue and SkS in general. I also know that some progressive websites such as Common Dreams routinely post links to press releases issued by environmental organizations. I believe there are others.

During my professional career, I became very proficient in drafting press releases, I would be pleased to draw upon my experience to honcho this effort. I suggest that we issue one press release per week (on a Thursday) for a few weeks and see what transpires.   

2011-07-02 11:31:34No, the press release wasn't released
John Cook

john@skepticalscience...

I put together the press release in PDF form, registered at PRWeb then learnt that it cost $90 to submit a single press release. I hadn't gotten any further since then.

On the night I was staying up late to program Plimer vs Plimer, got a phone call from PRWeb at 12.45 am asking if I was still planning to use them. I said no, I have no budget and did he realise I was in Australia and he was calling after midnight. It was just lucky I happened to be working at the time and was able to pick up the phone before the whole family was woken up.

But I digress. My answer is Badger, if you could help SkS with press releases - both drafting and disseminating them - would be fantastic. This could be a vital cog in our mission statement's "proactively and creatively getting the message out to the public". Even little tips like posting on Thursday is very helpful.

2011-07-02 12:40:53John Cook
John Hartz
John Hartz
john.hartz@hotmail...

What's hot that might be press release material for next week?

2011-07-02 14:13:53
dana1981
Dana Nuccitelli
dana1981@yahoo...
There are a lot of things we could do press releases for. We could still send out the Lindzen and Christy release, even though it's a little old news now (seems a shame to waste it). We've got lots of stuff on ocean acidification now too. Doug Mackie and cohorts' series, plus Ove Hoegh-Guldburg on the Great Barrier Reef including acidification impacts (Ove is one of the world's foremost coral reef experts, very highly regarded). And I'm continuing with the "learning from past climate predictions" series. Probably too early in the process to do a press release on that one though. Maybe in a few weeks once we've got a few post under our belts. So I'd say either send Lindzen/Christy out, or do a press release on how we're taking a comprehensive look at ocean acidification, including a guest post from coral reef expert Ove H-G.
2011-07-02 20:39:22Phone number
nealjking

nealjking@gmail...

Someone in the US could get a free GoogleVoice telephone number: The account can be configured to do any or all of the following:

- forward to a real phone(s)

- save voice messages

- convert voice message to text and forward to email

- convert voice message to text and forword to SMS

- recieve SMS and forward to cellphone

I suggest JC could get a GoogleVoice number (US only, for now) and configure it for:

- forward voice mail to email

I use this to establish a presence in the US: whenever someone calls the number, I get an email with the text (not a great conversion, but it's something) and the recorded voice message (pretty decent). No ringing, because I don't have it forwarded to the number for my other phones.

Check out: http://googlevoice.com/

(Someone in the US might have to set this up for JC: You need to have a US phone number to initiate the process. But then you can avoid keeping the forwarding to that physical number later.)

2011-07-03 00:36:46dana1981
John Hartz
John Hartz
john.hartz@hotmail...

When will the Ove H-G article be posted?

2011-07-03 00:39:27Another standard feature...
John Hartz
John Hartz
john.hartz@hotmail...

include the SkS Mission Statement at the bottom of each reelase.  

2011-07-03 00:42:18nealjking
John Hartz
John Hartz
john.hartz@hotmail...

Are you awre of any services that distribute press releases to media outlets at no cost?

2011-07-03 00:50:41John Cook
John Hartz
John Hartz
john.hartz@hotmail...

How about adding a "News Release" section to the array of SkS cubbyholes? 

2011-07-03 01:11:24
nealjking

nealjking@gmail...

B.: No

2011-07-03 01:32:29
dana1981
Dana Nuccitelli
dana1981@yahoo...

We're posting the first Ove H-G part later today. The other two will be posted within the week, probably Thursday and Sunday, Aussie time.

2011-07-03 03:16:39
Albatross
Julian Brimelow

It would have been nice to have released press releases during the Heartland Denier fest.  We need to be more strategic and do whatever we can to steal their thunder while also drawing attention to their BS science and political tactics.  But make it about, the science and their tactics, thereby exposing them.

So, what I am trying to say is that yes, press releases are good and we should, like Dana suggests, not waste the effort put into Lindzen Illusions etc.  My only concern is that this move could be perceived by some as SkS being an "activist" or advocacy group.  So hence my suggestions to keep the focus very much on the science and their tactics.

Weekly might be steep-- my vote is quality versus quantity, so on an as required basis would be good, and would keep the "skeptics" on their toes b/c the timing of the releases would be less predictable.

2011-07-03 06:06:19
dana1981
Dana Nuccitelli
dana1981@yahoo...

Unfortunately Lindzen and Christy aren't speaking at the Heartland conference (Carter and Spencer are), or it would give us a great excuse to send out that press release.  Speaking of which though, it would be nice to get a hold of Carter's and Spencer's presentations.

2011-07-03 06:12:15
Albatross
Julian Brimelow

Agreed Dana,

It would be fruitful to debunk the most damning talks that fudge the data, make false statements etc.  Maybe even Carter and Spencer (Michaels?) will oblige?  It is probably worth debunking some of the presentations-- we are watching, taking note of transgressions and BS and taking it down....

Let us also not forget the usual suspects (e.g., Eschenbach), especially those which make a habit of appearing at places like WUWT.

And there is that "empty" space at the bottom of my posts again...weird.

2011-07-03 07:01:51Dana & Albatross
John Hartz
John Hartz
john.hartz@hotmail...

The SkS news releases I envvision would be science focused and be based on blog post articles rather than rebuttal articles. Unless the Ove H-G article is a cross-post, a news release about it would be appropriate -- an original essay by a renowned scientist.

Right now our biggest problem isn't in the drafting of news releases or having enough material for issuing them once a week (or more). Our immediate problem is to determine how and where to distribute the releases at no cost. It will probably take a few weeks to come up with something workable.

I will sound out some of my contacts in the environmental community about the ways they go about distributing news releases and will report back.

I am also exploring other venues for posting SkS materials such as redOrbit,Inc. -- to be covered in a new blog post.

2011-07-03 07:32:05
Albatross
Julian Brimelow

Thanks so much for all your efforts Badger!

2011-07-03 07:47:10Albatross
John Hartz
John Hartz
john.hartz@hotmail...

You're welcome.

The time & effort that I expend on SkS stuff is my legacy to my children and grandson.

"Damn the torpedos, full steam ahead!"

2011-07-03 08:13:34
Rob Painting
Rob

Yup, thanks Badger, appreciate all the effort you put in. Been watching the mission statement development with interest too.

2011-07-03 15:51:36Monckton tour response
James Wight

jameswight@southernphone.com...

John, what's happening with the response to Monckton's Australian tour you were preparing?

2011-07-03 17:46:15If you mean the document I was working on...
John Cook

john@skepticalscience...
...I never got that far into it. I was always ambivalent about the need - the general consensus is that there shouldn't be direct engagement with Monckton about the science because that just propagates the image of a debate on the science and that is a victory for Monckton. He challenged Barry Brooks to a radio debate, Barry decided against it (I and others advised him not to). Steve is writing a great article on how the climate debate is being held in the peer reviewed literature and that Monckton refuses to debate in this forum - an inversion of the "they refuse to debate us" meme.
2011-07-05 06:02:27Website Resource
John Hartz
John Hartz
john.hartz@hotmail...

By happenstance, i discovered that BuzzFlash.com has a web-page with links to mucho media outlets throughout the world and the US. Click here and go to bottom of the page.