2011-06-07 02:10:39Refining the SKS Weekly Digest -- Your feedback requested
John Hartz
John Hartz
john.hartz@hotmail...

Based on early returns (comment thread to SkS post of the First Edition), SkS subscribers:

1. Are of two minds about the need for a weekly summary.

2. Like the "What's in the SkS Pipeline" feature.

My critical review of the initial product (which I created):

1. Way too much white space and the font sizes used were larger than needed.

2. Too many technical glitches re links. (I'm on a steep learning curve in learning the ins and outs of the SkS publishing system.)

3. The digest should be distributed on Saturday.

For the scond edition, I propose:

1. A simple bullet point lisiting of the titles (with enmbedded links) of SkS articles posted during the prior week. 

2. Retaining the bullet point listing of "What's in the SkS pipeline.

Adding new sections such as:

"SkS in the news" 

"SkS Spotlights" (individuals and organizations)

2011-06-07 02:31:13Looking at the first edition...
Alex C

coultera@umich...

I agree that there is too much whitespace.  There's too much text altogether, IMO - I think a simple bullet point list as you suggested would be sufficient, with the title and author name, with hyperlinks to each post.

I'm a bit split myself on the need for a summary of what we have posted, but I really like the idea of the "in the pipeline" section.  Definitely keep that.

And yes, distribution on Saturday would be a good idea, since that marks the end of the week (of course) and would be better timed with the beginning of the itinerary for the next week - our lists for "blog posts for so-and-so dates" are usually ready to go by the Saturday beforehand.

SkS in the News: if we like the extra publicity and are keeping track of the repostings, then we might as well do something with that info aside from a separate page users have to go find - I like this idea.

SkS Spotlights: not sure if I understand this - if organizations mention SkS, do you mean?  Perhaps, I think this could be easily tied in with the SkS in the News section.

I think that if the Weekly Digest is going to include potentially up to four different sections, it ought to be kept concise.  The way I think of a weekly bulletin working is that it gives you the bare bones of each message, not full discussion on any topic.  "WhoWhatWhenWhereWhy," and we don't really ever have info for the last two.

2011-06-07 02:43:02my comments
dana1981
Dana Nuccitelli
dana1981@yahoo...

I think it would be nice if we could give readers the option for an email alert either when a new post is published (as it is now), or for the weekly digest (or both).  That's something John would have to handle though.

I think including just the titles of the posts over the past week with links should be sufficient.

In the pipeline is an excellent feature - I agree.

In the news is also a great idea.  We get a lot of stuff re-posted (i.e. on TreeHugger), but I don't think our readers are aware of this.  John and I can give you a summary of weekly re-posts and such.

I tend to think of Monday as the start of a new week.  What do you think of publishing on Sunday?

2011-06-07 03:22:10Dana
John Hartz
John Hartz
john.hartz@hotmail...

Thanks for the feedback. Publishing early Sunday morning works for me.

How many addresses are currently in the SkS distribution system?

2011-06-07 04:13:45
dana1981
Dana Nuccitelli
dana1981@yahoo...

It's somewhere around 1325 email subscribers at the moment.

2011-06-07 04:54:14
Paul D

chillcast@googlemail...

I think the list format is a mistake.
IMO it would be better if you wrote a narrative summary with links embedded in it.

eg. "This week Dana investigated ice bergs in the Antartic and found that .... John Cook continued the series of etc.

Hence it would be more compact and a genuine digest written in your own words.

2011-06-07 05:11:27in the news
dana1981
Dana Nuccitelli
dana1981@yahoo...

While it's fresh in my mind, some recent SkS in the news over the past few days:

John's YouTube clip on ABC Q&A

IEA CO2 emissions article re-posted by:

Our CO2 graph from the IEA post featured in:

2011-06-07 05:17:49
Andy S

skucea@telus...

I second Paul's suggestion. An example of this kind of weekly wrap can be seen here. It might also  be a good thing to highlight one or two notable events outside the SkS world (mine the General Chat forum for ideas), that would give even sedulous (I like that word) readers of SkS an incentive to read the post, as does the upcoming posts section, which I think is a good idea, also.

2011-06-07 05:19:41
Andy S

skucea@telus...

I should note that the Yglesias article in Think Progress is now updated to include attribution to Dana,

2011-06-07 05:51:23
dana1981
Dana Nuccitelli
dana1981@yahoo...

Yes, I contacted Yglesias and he updated the post with the correct attribution quite rapidly.

If you have time badger, I agree a couple of sentences summarizing the main points of each post would be useful.

2011-06-07 06:21:36Dana
John Hartz
John Hartz
john.hartz@hotmail...

I believe that bullet point statements work much better than paragraphs of narrative. I therefore prefer to follow Paul's suggestion, but in bullet point format.

PS -- During my professional career, I created mucho "one pagers" of information for decision-makers in bullet point format.