2011-06-07 04:03:40A new SkS Category -- "SkS Resource Docs" ???
John Hartz
John Hartz
john.hartz@hotmail...

I recommend that we create a new category of SkS documents called "SkS Resource Documents."  The purpose of each document created would be to provide background information on a specific aspect of climate science.  Once created, a resource document would be appropriately referenced in both SkS rebuttals and blog posts. 

This is something that I have been mulling over for quite some time now. An example will better explain what I have in mind and why this proposed new series is needed.

There are any number of SkS rebuttals and articles that address climatic events in the Earth's geological history. Invariably, the authors use commonly accepted geological terms to define geological time periods. The problem is that the vast majority of people reading those articles are not geological time literate. (I include myself in that category.) The problem is further compounded by multiple layers of definitions that geologists have developed over the years. The author of one SkS paper may use the definitions embedded in one layer and the author of another paper may use the definitions embedded in a different layer. 

To facilitate the average person's ability to properly understand the contents of a SkS article dealing with geological time, a link to a SkS Resource Document about "Geological Time" would be extremely beneficial. (Yes, the average person could do the same research by going to Wikipedia, but ideally we want to keep them on the SkS website.)

In terms of graphics about geological time, one of the best that I have ever seen is what was created for the recent "Anthropocene Era" article published in the Economist.  To access this graphic, go to: http://www.economist.com/node/18741749

2011-06-07 05:12:17
Daniel Bailey
Daniel Bailey
yooper49855@hotmail...

Timeline