2011-05-19 09:25:24On the Good News front -- New Satellite Will Measure Ocean Circulation
John Hartz
John Hartz
john.hartz@hotmail...

New Satellite Will Measure Ocean Circulation

The Aquarius instrument will measure the ocean's salinity in a bid to better understand the global water cycle--and climate change.

global warming, climate change, satellite, oceans, circulation, salinity OCEAN SALT: A new instrument launching June 9 will measure the ocean's salinity to better understand the global water cycle. Image: NASA

NASA will launch a scientific instrument into space next month to measure the salt content of the world's oceans, information that could help confirm scientists' suspicions that climate change is accelerating the world's water cycle.

The instrument, Aquarius, will launch June 9 as part of a joint mission between NASA and Argentina's space agency.

Flying aboard the SAC-D satellite, Aquarius will measure ocean salinity, completing a path around the entire globe every seven days. That's welcome news to scientists who have long relied on salinity measurements collected by boat, buoy or plane, methods that don't provide global coverage.

"A sort of grand problem in Earth science is to understand the water cycle -- evaporation from the ocean, clouds, rain, the formation of ice, the runoff from the land back into the sea," said Eric Lindstrom, Aquarius program scientist at NASA. "Ocean salinity turns out to be a pretty useful diagnostic of the big picture."

To read the enitire article, go to:

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=new-satellite-will-measur&WT.mc_id=SA_DD_20110518

2011-05-19 18:48:24
MarkR
Mark Richardson
m.t.richardson2@gmail...

Cool. I wonder what makes this better than SMOS?

2011-05-19 18:57:40
Paul D

chillcast@googlemail...

We seem to have half of Scientific American as well as the article.

2011-05-20 00:28:07Paul D
John Hartz
John Hartz
john.hartz@hotmail...

All of the Scientific America "junk" was not visible when I initially posted this article. I suspect that something was hidden in what I posted that activated the "junk". I was able to delete it by editing the post in HTML.