2011-05-17 13:18:01Understanding the Political Economy of Enforced Dependency in the Globalized World
citizenschallenge
Peter Miesler
citizenschallenge7@gmail...

I think I’ve got something cool to share, from a home town gal at that.

Since some the greater AGW discussion is turning towards actually facing and dealing with what’s barreling down us.  I think... hope... this study that I was shown today will interest some of you. 

Feasta.org

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Understanding the Political Economy of Enforced Dependency in the Globalized World 
           A Springboard for Sustainability-oriented Action
~ ~ ~
 Tina  Lynn Evans, Ph.D.
Associate Professor and Librarian, Fort Lewis College;
Adjunct Professor of Environmental Studies, Prescott College.            
~ ~ ~

Executive Summary .........................................................................................................................3
In this paper, I develop a theory of enforced dependency as an important organizing
aspect of the globalized world-system, and I argue that enforced dependency decreases
individual, community, national, and global resiliency.

The decreased resiliency that stems from enforced dependency is especially troubling in the current time of converging socio-ecological crises including climate change, peak oil, increasing fresh water shortages, depletion of soil fertility worldwide, decimation of ocean fisheries from overfishing, economic destabilization, increasingly apparent limits to the biosphere‟s ability to absorb pollutants, and more.

I argue that understanding enforced dependency as a driving force behind the many converging crises we face can serve as a springboard for effective sustainability-oriented action aimed at reducing enforced dependency while also increasing resiliency at multiple levels within societies and nature.

I define enforced dependency as a form of reliance upon external resources or externally created conditions. For such dependency to function as enforced dependency, it must, once established, progressively undermine the self-sufficiency and resiliency of the dependent community, institution, government, or person making the dependent party increasingly vulnerable to exploitation. {...}

Introduction ......................................................................................................................................6
Converging Crises ............................................................................................................................8
Ecological Breakdown .........................................................................................................9
Fossil Fuel Depletion ...........................................................................................................9
The Structural Crisis of Capitalism....................................................................................14
The Concept of Enforced Dependency ..........................................................................................16
Industrial Capitalist Production as Dependency in the World-System ..........................................18
How Money and Debt Enforce Dependency .................................................................................21
Economic Growth ..........................................................................................................................25
Technological Displacement of Labor and 
Elimination of Subsistence in the Growth Economy .....................................................................27
The Hegemony of Neoclassical Economics ..................................................................................28
The Bretton Woods Paradigm ........................................................................................................31
Neoliberalism: Deepening Enforced Dependency .........................................................................34
Structural Adjustment Programs and Loan Conditionality ............................................................39

~ ~ ~
Fiscal Austerity ..................................................................................................................43
Export-led Development ....................................................................................................44
Free Trade ..........................................................................................................................46
Privatization .......................................................................................................................48
Capital Market Liberalization ............................................................................................48
Foreign Direct Investment .................................................................................................50
Loan Conditions and Enforced Dependency .....................................................................50

~ ~ ~
The 1970s Oil Shocks and the Global South Debt Crisis ..............................................................51
Summary and Conclusions on the Role of the Bretton Woods Institutions in 
Enforcing the Dependency of Global South Nations .....................................................................52
Dollar Hegemony, the U.S. Debt, and International Economic Co-dependency ..........................53
The Hegemony of Global Capitalist Elites and Culture ................................................................56
Globalized Society as a World-system of Enforced Dependency 
Lacking in Resiliency ....................................................................................................................61
References ......................................................................................................................................63
About the Author and This Work ..................................................................................................71