2011-05-17 03:11:39McIntyre's BFF (Wegman) has paper retracted for plagiarism
Albatross
Julian Brimelow
stomatalaperture@gmail...

Well, well...McIntyre's BFF (Wegman) has had a paper retracted from a journal for plagiarism.  Wegman is also being investigated by GMU for plagiarism and other matters.

DeepClimate has the scoop.  There is a part II as well.

Watts attacks DC for "attacking" someone in another country.  Umm, Tony, you live in the USA and are attacking DC who lives in Canada you dimwit.  Oh the irony.

2011-05-17 03:22:50
dana1981
Dana Nuccitelli
dana1981@yahoo...

Haha I love Watts' commentary on the issue.

"Well, congratulations to Deep Climate for being able to attack a man in another country without having having to put your name behind it. Such courage. You must be proud.

So, no problem from my view. I expect the report will be rewritten, with citations where needed, maybe even adding extra dictionary definitions of words and their origins to satisfy the imagined slights against our lexiconic ancestors envisioned by DC and Mashey man,  and they’ll resubmit it with the very same conclusions. That’s what I would do."

Yes, the only problem with the Wegman Report is that it didn't use the dictionary enough.  Gee, I just don't understand why people call this guy a denier! 

Can you imagine what he'd be saying if an anonymous Canadian caught Mann committing plagiarism?  He'd probably be calling for him to receive a Nobel Prize.

2011-05-17 03:29:51
Albatross
Julian Brimelow
stomatalaperture@gmail...

And let us not forget Watts allowing Goddard to post and attack scientists...Goddard is a pseudonym.  Watts also lets anonymous posters on his site attack scientists each and every day.  The hypocrisy and double standard is mind boggling.

And if you read DC's posts-- Watts is lying. Read Part II to see what social network analysis expert said when asked whethe ror not they would have accepted the Wegman and Said paper for publication.

2011-05-17 03:31:30
Paul D

chillcast@googlemail...

Watts uses the internet and runs two blogs, but is whinning about the borderless global nature of it all?

2011-05-17 05:16:59USA Today Article
John Hartz
John Hartz
john.hartz@hotmail...

Don Vergano has written a nice article about this matter on USA Today. It is, of course, attracting climate denier bloggers like flies to honey. I would love to post comments but I was banned from doing so in December thanks to being subjected to a coordinated attack by professional climate denier bloggers.

Here's the link to the article:

http://www.usatoday.com/weather/climate/globalwarming/2011-05-15-climate-study-plagiarism-Wegman_n.htm

PS -- My blogging nemisis, the "Netdr", considers the comment threads of USA Today articles to be his personal sandbox. I know that some of you have also crossed swords with him in the paston the comment threads to SkS posts. Here's an opportunity for you to do so again. 

2011-05-17 08:08:57
nealjking

nealjking@gmail...

At WUWT, there's a substantial minority that insists on regarding plagiarizing as wrong.

That seems to be an unusual degree of dissent, for WUWT.

2011-05-17 08:29:09
nealjking

nealjking@gmail...

It's interesting to note that the university that has been dragging its feet over this issue, Wegman's institution, is GMU, which also promotes the Climate Change Communicator contest:

2011-05-17 08:32:07
dana1981
Dana Nuccitelli
dana1981@yahoo...

True neal - while the majority WUWT opinion is "plagiarism doesn't change the results" (Watts' spin), a decent sized minority admitted that if Wegman et al. substantially plagiarized the report, the results probably aren't very reliable.

Of course lost in all this is that by continuing to support criticisms of the hockey stick, "skeptics" are scoring an own goal.  They'd be better off if Mann's original reconstruction was right and Wegman and M&M were wrong, because it would mean lower climate sensitivity.

2011-05-17 09:29:57Speaking of "plagerism"
John Hartz
John Hartz
john.hartz@hotmail...

Many climate denial bloggers are effectively saying, "What's the big deal A little plagerism never hurt anybody."

This should come as no surprise given how they plagerize the talking points generated by the Climate Denial Spin Machine in order to make it appear that their posts are original thinking. 

2011-05-17 16:52:49
Riccardo

riccardoreitano@tiscali...

They don't try or even mind to be honest, we know.