2011-05-14 01:00:43Action Needed to Manage Climate Change Risks -- A new report from the (US) NRC
John Hartz
John Hartz
john.hartz@hotmail...

May 12, 2011

Action Needed to Manage Climate Change Risks

America's Climate Choices logo

Warning that the risk of dangerous climate change impacts is growing with every ton of greenhouse gases emitted into the atmosphere, a National Research Council committee today reiterated the pressing need for substantial action to limit the magnitude of climate change and to prepare to adapt to its impacts. The nation's options for responding to the risks posed by climate change are analyzed in a new report and the final volume in America's Climate Choices, a series of studies requested by Congress.

http://www.nationalacademies.org/newsroom/

2011-05-14 01:04:03News Release = Blog Post?
John Hartz
John Hartz
john.hartz@hotmail...

I recommend posting the NRC news release about this report on the SkS blog.

2011-05-14 08:28:53Reaction to the report on Capitol Hill fell predictably along party lines.
John Hartz
John Hartz
john.hartz@hotmail...

What follows is the last section of an article about the release of the report and its contents posted on Scientific America today (May 13).

Reaction to the report on Capitol Hill fell predictably along party lines

Senate Foreign Relations Committee Chairman John Kerry (D-Mass.) called the NAS report "the latest watertight finding on the pile of countless peer-reviewed scientific studies that underscore the risks if the United States doesn't address climate change now, not in 10 or 20 years."

Rep. Henry Waxman (D-Calif.), who co-sponsored climate change legislation that passed the House in 2009 before sputtering to a halt in the Senate, was similarly blunt.

"Republicans in the House should be ashamed of their votes denying climate change and handcuffing the Environmental Protection Agency," he said. "If we wait to act, it may be too late to save the planet from irreversible changes."

Back in the Senate, Republican James Inhofe (Okla.), one of the chamber's most outspoken climate skeptics, dismissed the report by arguing that addressing climate change is simply too expensive.

"I appreciate the NRC's latest contribution to the scientific literature on the causes and impacts of climate change," Inhofe said. "What is clear and irrefutable is that the [academy's] proposals to address climate change would impose massive costs without meaningful benefits."

Source:

U.S. Action to Combat Climate Change Remains Urgent

Yet another science report warns that action must be taken to restrain greenhouse gas emissions

2011-05-14 08:58:10
dana1981
Dana Nuccitelli
dana1981@yahoo...

Thanks Badger.  I got a good (bad) quote from Joe Barton too.  I'll probably include either his or Inhofe's in the post.