2011-05-13 22:23:53Dwindling resources
Paul D

chillcast@googlemail...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-13376416

The authors call for resource consumption to be "decoupled" from economic growth, and producers to do "more with less".

Or maybe just produce less and we consume less.
Is that a truck in that photo on the BBC page?

2011-05-13 22:36:14
Glenn Tamblyn

glenn@thefoodgallery.com...

And there is the 64 Trillion dollar question. Can we decouple resource consumption from economic growth? And if we can't what has to give? Is this the Ideology (no I didn't say love) That Dare Not Speak Its Name? No wonder our politicians are luke warm on Climate Change action. 'You want to do WHAT to the economy? And I have to tell the electorate!'

What does a Post-Growth world look like? Is that a Post-Capitalist world? Not because of any philosophical objection to Capitalism - although for something that fills our lives with so much 'stuff' it is a rather tawdry system - but because Capitalism may not be able to deliver a zero resource-consumption-growth world. Can we endlessly sustain growth through expansion of the services sector? Just how many dog walking businesses does this planet need?

Is that the sound of old certainties running out of steam that I am hearing?

2011-05-14 00:58:52Action Needed to Manage Climate Change Risks -- New NRC Report
John Hartz
John Hartz
john.hartz@hotmail...

May 12, 2011

Action Needed to Manage Climate Change Risks

America's Climate Choices logo

Warning that the risk of dangerous climate change impacts is growing with every ton of greenhouse gases emitted into the atmosphere, a National Research Council committee today reiterated the pressing need for substantial action to limit the magnitude of climate change and to prepare to adapt to its impacts. The nation's options for responding to the risks posed by climate change are analyzed in a new report and the final volume in America's Climate Choices, a series of studies requested by Congress.

http://www.nationalacademies.org/newsroom/