2011-05-10 11:11:04University of Colorado - sea level
oslo

borchinfolab@gmail...

UoC has an updated site where they now have adjusted for GIA - as so much water have been added to the sea after the last ice age, the sea floor sinks - the sea floor adjustments is a global -0.3 mm / year - which means that the UoC trend is a bit higher than earlier graphs which didn't have GIA adjustment.

Found this cool app on their site for finding sea level rise at a given point - you can add different smothing on the graph to better see the trend.

There might be some noise regarding the adjustments...

From the hockeyschtick:

- Following a long delay and some controversial "adjustments," the University of Colorado sea level satellite data was recently released.

2011-05-10 11:41:31
Alex C

coultera@umich...

I thought I remember seeing on their site before figures closer to 3.1 than the 2.8 they suggest was initially shown, am I mistaken?  I thought they had shown 3.0 or 3.1.  I don't remember seeing the data from Jason 2 there before.

The playing with axes at the Hockeyschmuck is funny, gotta love it when people start the graph at 2.9 mm/y^2 and the graph scales from 3.55 to 3.15.  I also wonder if they include data not given in the UoC dataset, like Tamino's post on sea level "So What?"

Then you have the oh-so-dubious 3 year decrease in trends.  Better shows the noise variation above and below the trend line, not the actual long term trend.  You can make the same graph with any sinusoidal function, it will behave the same as you go over the "hump" in the data.

Not that the graph really means anything, he's only recalculating UoC's trend line.

Do they want some fine cheese with that whine?

2011-05-10 19:36:39
oslo

borchinfolab@gmail...

>I thought I remember seeing on their site before figures closer to 3.1 than the 2.8 they suggest was initially shown, am I mistaken?  I thought they had shown 3.0 or 3.1.  I don't remember seeing the data from Jason 2 there before.

The graph has been at 3.0 or even 3.1 "some months ago" without gia adjustments - don't really know why the monthly update (or every 2 months) should distort the long term trend so much. There might have been updates to the models during last year as well, and all updates changes the graph slightly (guessing). I like the Aviso sea level app as well, as you can pick and chose settings to your preference, and create great maps or graphs.

-

Hockeyschmuck: The blogscience never stops  you know ;-)