2011-05-10 09:20:10Canada's National Post BS'ing again
Albatross
Julian Brimelow
stomatalaperture@gmail...

Read this pathetic misinformation and weep,

Anyone wish to tackle this?  Also, anyone have the ear of Simon Lewis?

2011-05-10 11:02:02Lawrence Solomon
John Hartz
John Hartz
john.hartz@hotmail...

The good folk at DeSmog Blog have done a good job of debunking Lawrence Solomon's pronouncements. Perhps they'll tackle this one as well.

2011-05-10 16:18:18
Rob Painting
Rob
paintingskeri@vodafone.co...

Err dude, it's La Nina, the Amazon almost aways has above average rainfall in this ENSO phase. I bet he gets excited when winter arrives in the Arctic. Those billion plus dead trees from the last drought will still be dead.

If no one else wants to deal with it, I'll do a post next week (still adding peer-review papers) 

2011-05-10 17:09:40
Rob Painting
Rob
paintingskeri@vodafone.co...

Scratch that. Doesn't look like I'll be working tomorrow, so have started on a post in response. Albie, do you realize you're costing me valuable peer-review reseach time?. That piece pissed me off too much, to not respond!.

2011-05-11 01:46:04
dana1981
Dana Nuccitelli
dana1981@yahoo...

Go get 'em, Rob!  Maybe Albie and Ari are in cahoots :-)

2011-05-11 02:05:11
Albatross
Julian Brimelow

Sorry Rob.  Reading that drove me nuts-- especially the logical fallacy that we need to pump more carbon into the atmosphere to save the forest from droughts, droughts which are very likely to increase (and have been increasing) in a warmer world because of anthro CO2.

FWIW, here is what I emailed a colleague who brought this to my attention:

"Oh my God, what unadulterated bullshit.  Sorry for the strong language, but this is spin (and denial) pure a simple.

First, the elevated CO2 now did not help prevent the two recent droughts did it?  Why?  Because plant growth tends to be either energy limited or water limited.  And if the soil moisture drops below a critical level called the permanent wilting point, as it tends to do during drought, then all the CO2 in the world is not going to help, as demonstrated by the recent droughts.  The research by Lewis also found evidence that having two droughts in such short succession may have exacerbated the fatality rate during the second drought.  The Amazon may be robust, but it cannot withstand this level of stress for much longer and maintain the same level of biomass and biodiversity.
What Solomon also fails to note is that during the droughts the Amazon was transformed from a CO2 sink to a source of CO2-- a positive feedback, with more warming, leading to more droughts, which leads to more CO2 being released:
"we predict the impact of the 2010 drought as 2.2 × 1015 grams of carbon [95% confidence intervals (CIs) are 1.2 and 3.4], largely longer-term committed emissions from drought-induced tree deaths, compared with 1.6 ×1015 grams of carbon (CIs 0.8 and 2.6) for the 2005 event"
http://www.sciencemag.org/content/331/6017/554.abstract
He also forgets that droughts in the future are expected to increase as GHGs increase, and indeed that is what appears to be happening already.
Also read here:
http://www.skepticalscience.com/The-2010-Amazon-Drought.html
Read more about the "CO2 is plant food myth":
http://www.skepticalscience.com/co2-is-plant-food-too-simple.html"
Followed by,
"This is what the future may likely hold.  Note what is predicted to occur over the Amazon:

2011-05-11 02:21:19
Albatross
Julian Brimelow

And while I have a bee in my bonnet.  Not to forget the stupidity of continuing to increase GHGs to protect the Amazon while triggering off a bunch of other disasters in the process that will make smatters worse.  Some examples of problems arising from continuing increasing CO2 levels to supposedly protect the Amazon,

1) Release of methane from shallow ocean beds and as the permafrost melts

2) Release of CO2 from reduced photosynthesis and forest fires during increasing heat waves.

3) Ocean acidification

4) Rising sea levels

etc.