2011-05-08 02:02:28UK coalition government gets the thumbs down
Paul D

chillcast@googlemail...

Johnathon Porritt says most green policies have been chopped or curtailed in favour of economic growth:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-13312901

I've been saying this new government has been going brown ever since they took office last year. The only positive thing that has happened is their reversal of the selling of forests (many of which have been burning this week).

Also, it found that more than half of 2,000 environmental professionals that took part thought that UK green job opportunities would continue to shrink in 2011, and three-in-five expected public spending cuts to directly affect environmental employment in their organisation.

2011-05-08 04:36:45
perseus

owlsmoor@googlemail...

This was as sure to happen as night follows day.  Those who believed the Tory party ever had any green credentials needs their head examining.  Now AV is dead what is to stop them killing off all the green policies?

2011-05-08 05:19:08
Paul D

chillcast@googlemail...

Perseus I think it varies a great deal. My local council is Tory and they are 'green' in that they joined the 10:10 campaign and have been getting staff to use cars less. Plus they are sponsoring a green fair this month which I have been helping with in a minor way.

But that is contradicted by an inevitable approval for developments that are damaging.
I actually went to a council meeting last year where Sainsburys were showing a proposal for a new supermarket and you had Sainsburys on one hand, stating they would have eco-friendly heating, rain water capture and limited parking for staff to encourage walking, cycling etc. Whilst a Tory councillor asked why there wasn't more parking for staff. eg. you had a Tory councillor wanting more parking for staff cars and the 'evil' Sainsburys pointing out it was company policy to discourage car use!
Having said that, Sainsburys are also going to be building a petrol station (gas station for Americans), which sort of showed that their whole philosophy is greenwash. Token gestures towards green policies, whilst investing more money to encourage customers to use cars.

The Tories have gone from being pure economics driven to this new thing that can't decide what it is or which way to go.

2011-05-09 00:27:02
perseus

owlsmoor@googlemail...

The Tories are torn between placating their NIMBY green belt voters and supporting their business friends at the local level.  However, on a global scale they firmly support big business interests and therefore unsustainable economic growth.