2011-04-15 00:56:24Lindzen tells lies
Albatross
Julian Brimelow
stomatalaperture@gmail...

Folks,

IMHO, someone really has to address the lies and misinformation made by Lindzen in this radio interview show.

2011-04-15 05:15:06yes
dana1981
Dana Nuccitelli
dana1981@yahoo...

Agreed, Alby.  I just emailed John and said we need to do Lindzen Illusions with this.  Again misinforming people (in Australia!) about a policy issue (carbon tax).

Unfortunately I bruised my hand pretty badly in a bike crash this morning and won't be able to type well for about a week. Bad timing, I've been itching to do Lindzen Illusions for months.

2011-04-15 05:42:34
Albatross
Julian Brimelow

Hi Dana,

Ouch, sorry to hear about he bike accident. Now worries about the delay, maybe this is karma telling you take take it easy for a few days :)  

Lindzen managed to cram  a lot of misinformation into that interview.  

Cheers.

2011-04-15 08:56:03transcribing
dana1981
Dana Nuccitelli
dana1981@yahoo...

Anyone up to transcribing Lindzen's myth quotes in the interview since I can't?  It's not terribly long.

2011-04-15 09:53:59
Albatross
Julian Brimelow

Dana,

I will see what I can do.....no promises though.  If there is a rush, then perhaps someone else is a better bet.

2011-04-15 10:21:22no rush
dana1981
Dana Nuccitelli
dana1981@yahoo...

No rush.  If you can do it in the next week, that's sooner than I can.

2011-04-15 15:49:58Lindzen quotes
James Wight

jameswight@southernphone.com...

Okay, have transcribed a bunch of quotes from that interview and added them to the quotes database. (I don’t know how to assign skeptic quotes to specific articles, but I added the source.) There are a couple of others that don’t appear on that page because they’re assigned to arguments which don’t have rebuttals yet:

• I think even Flannery acknowledged that Australia doing this [a carbon tax] would have no discernible impact for virtually a millennium, even if Australia's output during that millennium was increasing exponentially. [assigned to “CO2 limits won’t cool the planet”]
  • People need a cause, and they sort of feel puffed up by having a cause like saving the Earth. And they don’t really care that they’re hurting people, that they may be involved in an immoral cause and so on. They’re perfectly happy to just go along it with it because they were told it’s virtuous. [assigned to “It’s an anti-capitalist political myth”]

That last one is quite insulting.

2011-04-15 17:30:19Desmogblog have a short article on Lindzen
perseus

owlsmoor@googlemail...

Lindzen Slipping from Ranks of "Credible" Scientists

from DeSmogBlog - Clearing the PR Pollution that Clouds Climate Scien by Has the once-respected professor "gone emeritus"?

I notice he was another Denier of the link between smoking and cancer.  Why was he ever considered credible?  I guess nothing will discredit him more than this since even smokers acknowledge the link nowadays.

2011-04-16 02:27:59nice James
dana1981
Dana Nuccitelli
dana1981@yahoo...

Thanks James, you rock.  grypo just drafted up a basic rebuttal to "CO2 limits won’t cool the planet", so we'll have that one soon too.

Nice post on the same interview linked by perseus.

Time to launch Lindzen Illusions!

2011-04-18 02:49:54
Albatross
Julian Brimelow

Thanks James,

Do you need for me to transcribe the article Dana, or it this enough?  What I might do is have another listen to the interview and just validate what Lindzen said (no offewnse to James, but it is best to make sure that we have his words verbatim).  I see the database only has quotes from 2011, wondering if we should try and dig up some more?

2011-04-18 05:04:23
dana1981
Dana Nuccitelli
dana1981@yahoo...
Wouldn't hurt to have a second set of ears check the quotes. We have lots of Lindzen articles in the database we could take quotes from, but for now this interview gives us plenty to work with.
2011-04-18 16:56:15
Albatross
Julian Brimelow

Hi Dana and James,

James you did a sterling job!  I found only a couple of small differences-- nothing major at all, and nothing that would change the meaning of what Lindzen was saying.

I would suggest changing this:

“If nothing else changed, adding the amount of CO2 that we've added thus far should account for maybe a quarter of what we've seen.”

To this:

“OK, if nothing else changed, adding the amount of CO2 that we have added thus far should account for maybe a quarter of what we have seen, we have added some other greenhouse gases, methane, fluorocarbons, freons, this sort of thing, and that should bring one to perhaps 0.5 C.”

And consider speaking to these beauties: 

Lindzen:

“Oh sure, these people [presumably referring to Australian politicians wanting to implement a Carbon tax) are being grotesquely dishonest”

Lindzen: 

…..I mean I think that even Flannery acknowledged that Australia do this will have no discernible impact for virtually a millennium, even if Australia’s output during that millennium was increasing exponentially.”

Interviewer:

“…..we keep getting told the polar caps are melting, what is the true evidence connected to that?”

Lindzen's reply:

“None, you know it is again an issue of defining what you are talking about…in the North Pole...."

Interviewer:

“What do you think we’ll be saying in 40 years time and looking back at this period of alarm?”

Lindzen's reply:

“….oh I think it will definitely fall into, you know, the category of popular delusions.  People will look at wonder at this age and wonder how science broke down, and in a period of technological advance that the public could be swayed by arguments that make no sense, and get hysterical over it.”

Lindzen: 

“For a lot of people it is also something I call “the quest for cheap virtue”, people need a cause…and they sorta feel puffed up by having a cause like saving the Earth, and they don’t really care that they are hurting people, that they may be involved in an immoral cause, and so on, they’re perfectly happy to just go along with it because they were told it’s virtuous.”