2011-04-09 07:58:44Sharing Internet Favorites.Links
Daniel Bailey
Daniel Bailey
yooper49855@hotmail...

Dunno if this would have been better served in the Communicating Science or Technical areas of the Forum (I'll put links there to here, I guess).

The thought occurred to me as I'm getting ready to do a major cull & filing session of my Internet Favorite Links (I use Firefox 4.0) that some others might want to exchange links.  I'm sure we all have our go-to links to answer questions and look up papers, but I'm equally sure each of has things organized in particular ways and maybe has things bookmarked that some of the others would like to have, if only they knew it existed and where to get it.

With that said, if anyone wants a copy of my links, I'll export them to a JSON file (what Firefox uses to back up its link database) & make it available to whoever wants it.

If anyone has a comprehensive set of science links & is willing to share:

yooper49855@hotmail.com

Thanks!

2011-04-09 18:37:04
Glenn Tamblyn

glenn@thefoodgallery.com...

Good Idea.

Simple suggestion. Everyone has links to all kinds of things. Collaboration helps with that. As long as John doesn't have to code for it! How about something simple? A file here at SkS that is editable by anyone in the forum, that contains simply a brief description of the link, and the link. So a simple tet file as a PDF or such. Also any USER ID's/Passwords that authors are willing to share for access through Pay-Wallsj. All we need is a path to the file, read/write access rights, and maybe a lock that stops multiple people overwriting each others add's.

2011-04-10 02:40:00Visual display of Bookmarks
BaerbelW

baerbel-for-350@email...

A while ago, I put some of my climate-related bookmarks into a rough and ready "personal brain" and made it available online as a "Webbrain":
http://webbrain.com/u/11qA

The brain is interactive and it contains the URLs to the websites which are opened when the website's icon in one of the "thoughts" is clicked. The page will then open below the brain, so the bookmarks do double work as a kind of menue. The nodes in the brain can be connected in various ways so that you get both hierarchical and lateral connections.

The brain's mastercopy is on my laptop and I can keep it current by synchronising the online webbrain every once in a while. Theoretically, it is also possible to modify the webbrain and then import those changes back into the mastercopy - I have never tried this, though, so far.

If you think that an interactive display like this comes in handy, we can give it a try. A webbrain can also be embedded in another website, similar to a Youtube-video. It then also retains its interactivity.

Cheers
Baerbel