2011-04-01 00:46:06Interesting BBC report about Obama's speech on energy
Paul D

chillcast@googlemail...

Obama:

"We cannot keep going from shock to trance on the issue of energy security, rushing to propose action when gas prices rise, then hitting the snooze button when they fall again," he said during a speech at Georgetown University.

Mitch McConnell:

"The guy who's trying to make ends meet wants to know what you're going to do for him today, not 24 years from now," he said, quoted by the Associated Press.

This pretty much sums up the sustainability issue. Vote grabbing by satsifying immediate needs (Mitch), or sustainable development with longer term view (Obama). The point is of course that in order to make progress it requires cross party support so that satisfying immediate demands doesn't overide the sustainable development. And that requires some good (and tough) politicians from all parties that ignore popular pressure for immediate gratification.

Added: Might help if i included a link!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-12912730

2011-04-01 01:03:57
perseus

owlsmoor@googlemail...

Yes I did see this on BBCnews24 until they cut it short. 

He even mentioned the term 'climate change' once!  'I know many of you young people are concerned about climate change' or something like that. 

Can't help thinking the only thing that will stop the gas guzzlers are high prices and self interest though.  My worry is that a shortage of oil will lead to more corn based ethanol and palm oil, and a shortage of electricity due to the nuclear scare more coal rather than renewables.