2011-03-14 15:37:52Dana's interview in Irregular Climate #18
John Cook

john@skepticalscience...

Great interview with Dana on Irregular Climate - shows just how much work he did in researching Lindzen (I'm starting to see where his enthusiasm to get cracking on Lindzen's Illusions is coming from :-)

http://www.skepticalscience.com/Irregular-Climate-18-featuring-Dana-Nuccitelli.html

Dan Moutal has published Episode 18 of Irregular Climate. This ep, he looks at Climategate (again), stupidity from elected officials who are absolutely certainly wrong, against adaptation, and who think their legislative powers can repeal the laws of nature, styrofoam, mega-droughts, the loss of the Glory satellite and bad reporting from Grist.

However, the highlight for me is an in-depth interview with Skeptical Science's own Dana Nuccitelli (or as we like to call him, the "cyborg"). Dana explains in fascinating detail the scientific mistake made by both the FEU and Richard Lindzen. He gives us a brief history of Lindzen repeatedly making this mistake over the last few years, despite other climate scientists attempting to explain his error. And lastly, he looks at the unskeptical response from climate "skeptics" to Lindzen's errors. It's a great overview of all the work and research Dana has done on the subject - and great to put a voice to the name! :-)

2011-03-14 16:37:47Ums
dana1981
Dana Nuccitelli
dana1981@yahoo...
You can probably tell it's my first interview. John and I have a wager about who would say "um" less in an interview, and I think I'm in trouble! Listening to it, I didn't realize how many times I had said it. Damn word just slips out!
2011-03-14 18:45:23
Rob Painting
Rob
paintingskeri@vodafone.co...

You know, Dan could probably halve the length of the show if he spoke a wee bit faster (just kidding). So what are you going to tell your family and friends?, that you appeared on "the stupid show" episode?.

I never heard you say "um" Dana, you did say "arm" a lot though. Yeah, I'm on a roll!. 

Seriously though, well done. I expect both John & yourself will only get better with more practise. Most people I know who are natural public speakers are totally full of themselves. So that's a good sign!. 

2011-03-15 03:05:40stupid show
dana1981
Dana Nuccitelli
dana1981@yahoo...

Hehe Dan does talk rather slowly.  It's better than talking too fast and stumbling and saying "um" (or "arm") though!

I was interviewed on the irregular climate stupid show....that could make for a good bumper sticker.

2011-03-15 04:42:30
Ari Jokimäki

arijmaki@yahoo...

Listening it now...

Dana says that he traced Lindzen's argument on how much warming has happened vs. how much predicted back to year 2001. Let me introduce you to Lindzen (1990), there's pretty much the same argument presented. Here's my piece on a paper by Kellogg (1991), which addresses some of the issues in Lindzen's paper.

2011-03-15 05:48:47
Rob Painting
Rob
paintingskeri@vodafone.co...

Shucks Ari, had a flick through that, that is baaaaaad!. Not really sure why some climate scientists have even the remotest respect for Lindzen. I mean how many times can you be wrong before you cease to be an "expert"?. And that's not taking into consideration, the many strawmen & diversions Lindzen sets up.

2011-03-15 06:29:08similar
dana1981
Dana Nuccitelli
dana1981@yahoo...

It's similar, but not quite the same argument.  But yeah, that's a really bad paper.