2011-03-13 18:34:49A chance to win a free signed copy of 'Climate Change Denial: Heads in the Sand'
John Cook

john@skepticalscience...

I'm offering a free signed copy of the upcoming "Climate Change Denial" book signed by both authors (I actually get to meet my co-author Haydn Washington for the first time when we launch the book in May). The book will go to whoever can get their name to the top of this list of the # of peer-reviewed papers added to our database:

http://www.skepticalscience.com/stats.php?Action=peerreviewlinks

Yes, you do have to get above me and yes, I know it's a tough ask as I've been collecting peer-reviewed papers for a few years now. The reason I'm doing this is because we've been steadily building up our list of peer-reviewed papers - you can see the entire list here:

http://www.skepticalscience.com/peerreview.php

If this list could be made more comprehensive, it will be quite a popular and useful resource not to mention a powerful communication device. There was already a strong reaction to Moth Incarnate's 310+ Genuine Science Papers Supporting Confidence in the AGW theory and Relevant Environmental Concern and Ari's http://agwobserver.wordpress.com/ is always popular (not to mention Naomi's famous Science paper on consensus). And as we already have a database of papers sorted into "bias" and also sorted by what skeptic arguments they address, it makes sense to use crowd sourcing to extend the database, make it real kick-arse.

So the plan is this. The Ville has been working on an animation that will compare the # of papers in Skeptical/Neutral/ProAGW in a visual, simple way that will hopefully underscore the # of papers. But we need a lot more papers - hundreds more papers - before it's worth showing to the public. I think the # of proAGW papers really needs to be 1000+ just because otherwise skeptics will simply say "big deal, Poptech has 800+ skeptic papers" (of course we know the actual # of skeptic peer-reviewed papers gets nowhere near 800). Anyway, you can check out the current version of this animation here:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/podnoid/SKS/papersoo6.html

So feedback is welcome on the animation and how it can be made more effective. As we have dated all our papers, I like the idea of having a date slider where you can choose the start and end date, to see how many skeptic/proAGW papers were written over a particular period. That might a big ask coding wise, but I guess the idea is post your feedback and we see what's possible.

In the meantime, please do use the Firefox Add-on (http://sks.to/firefox) to submit papers and help build this resource. Any paper related to climate is suitable (perhaps start with Ari's or Moth Incarnate's sites). If the bias is not clear, make it neutral. Currently, this is only on the forum for SkS authors - but if no SkS authors are able to go past me, I'll make the competition open to the general public. But if we can keep it restricted to SkS authors where quality control is much easier, I do prefer that option.

Good luck and any questions re submitting papers, ask them here :-)

2011-03-13 21:41:46
Paul D

chillcast@googlemail...

Some points to make about the animation.

John has linked to a non-live version of the code, the numbers used in the animation won't change in this version despite changes to the database. John has tested an earlier version with the database and it seemed to work OK.
Are you going to link to the live version John??

My original ideas were probably a bit ambitious, partly because I am on a learning curve with AJAX and partly because of the limitations of browsers to do a lot of animation. So the animation has been reduced to simple circles, at least for now.

I have started to think about the dated papers idea. Because by adding dates increases the richness of the data it should be possible to do more interesting stuff with the graphics, such as:

1. As the slider (suggested by John) is moved, the circles change size showing the changes over time of the number of papers.
2. Draw a graph with the x axis showing years and the Y axis showing the numbers of papers.

These graphics would dynamically change as the database is updated.

I think I need to discuss what the XML file consists of in this date version, with John.
My preference is to have all the data in one file, or possibly have the data split into two or three files. Using asynchrous data downloads means that bigger files can be downloaded in the background. Maybe have a simple 'loading' splash display whilst it is downlaoding data, to cover any speed problems. If this is done then the graph idea (2) is possible.

2011-03-13 22:31:56
Paul D

chillcast@googlemail...

BTW John.

I think the book will need to be a signed copy :-)
Actually if you can get some other well known people to sign it as well ??

2011-04-06 13:33:55Signed copy of the book
John Cook

john@skepticalscience...

Actually, there will be two book launches and there will be a number of scientists and politicians at either event. I might see if I can get a copy signed by as many cool people as possible and that can be the prize for the peer-review winner.

2011-04-06 23:09:15
Ari Jokimäki

arijmaki@yahoo...

It would be good to do a cleanup on the paperlists for each argument. There are probably some duplicates of same papers, some papers that are not peer-reviewed and some papers that are in a wrong argument. This would be easier to do before there's huge volume of papers.

2011-04-08 05:43:47
Ari Jokimäki

arijmaki@yahoo...

Ok, John, I'm the first one in the list now. :)