2011-03-05 08:44:01Wolfram|Alpha Computational Knowledge Machine.... what warming
citizenschallenge
Peter Miesler
citizenschallenge7@gmail...

There's this thing I got turned onto at WUWT.  And it's bringing out the comedians.

It's a knowledge search engine.  Sort of cool in a way. 

In any event ~ into the search field type "weather" and then a location and it processes various weather records. Recent temps, rain, etc.  It also processes the temperature record from 70s to today.  Now what has the denialists howling with laughter is that pick a location (I did about a couple dozen random locations world wide) and dang if that graph does not show any sort of warming trend.  Location after location, haha.

For me it was like being at a magic show.  I know slight of hand is being used and believe unfair associations (misdirections) are being used.  To say nothing of a tiny graph.  But I sure couldn't explain them. 

If anyone is bored, check it out and share your impression.

Wolfram|Alpha Computational Knowledge Machine

http://www.wolframalpha.com/

2011-03-05 20:33:32
Paul D

chillcast@googlemail...

I doubt if Wolfram are using 'slight' of hand.
They actually say that the temperature data is not corrected:

(daily ranges, not corrected for changes in local weather station environment)

If you type in Climate it brings up a new set of data, they plot various graphs using well known data sets including hadcrut.

2011-03-06 01:26:15
perseus

owlsmoor@googlemail...

I thought they didn't believe the temperature records anyway.  Evidently only when it suits them!

2011-03-06 06:37:08
citizenschallenge
Peter Miesler
citizenschallenge7@gmail...

perseus: "I thought they didn't believe the temperature records anyway.  Evidently only when it suits them!"

Just like they don't believe in models, except when someone like Spencer uses them to 'debunk' the science.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

By 'slight of hand' I didn't mean the calculations that go into the graph ~ I meant the interpretation being given to the graph.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Chicago Historical temperatures for March 5:

low: 0 °F
1978, ... | average high:  | 40 °F
average low:  | 28 °F | high: 65 °F

Miami Historical temperatures for March 5:

low: 44 °F
2010 | average high:  | 80 °F
average low:  | 63 °F | high: 90 °F