2011-02-25 16:54:07Book Recommendation
seaturtles

michelle.waterman1@gmail...

Hello everyone,

Just some basic information about me, I am a marine scientist, going into a PhD and J.D., yes call me crazy, I think I am, but I can't see how lawyers can argue in favor of environmental protection when they don't have a science background. So, I want to become a one-stop shop. 

I have not read this book, but  a friend of mine suggested reading it. So I will pass this along and will start reading soon-night read, to get my head off the LSAT. Anyway, hope you find it useful.

http://www.waronscience.com/excerpt.php?p=1

Best wishes,

Seaturtles

2011-02-26 00:26:46Thanks for the link
John Cook

john@skepticalscience...
Heard of Chris Mooney's book, not yet read it. Based on that excerpt, looks quite interesting (but also a little depressing). I used to assume that as time went on, humanity would accept science to a greater degree. Nowadays, I question that assumption and wonder whether, just as climate fluctuates amidst a long-term trend, so to humanity fluctuates between accepting science and waves of anti-intellectualism. It's a depressing (and humbling) thought that the human brain is not as logical and reasonable as we would like to think.
2011-02-26 02:08:08over-population = chaos
John Hartz
John Hartz
john.hartz@hotmail...
Due to over-population, homo spaiens has entered into a period of chaos -- just like the climate.
2011-02-26 07:10:02It goes deeper than that
John Cook

john@skepticalscience...
USA is a 1st world modern country and overpopulation is not driving the wave of anti-intellectualism there. It seems to be a combination of cultural war and politics (possibly cynical manipulation for political means) and possibly other complex factors (I guess you have to read Chris' book for a fuller answer :-)
2011-02-26 08:49:32
seaturtles

michelle.waterman1@gmail...

I agree with John, over-population is not an issue issue here. The lack of education is certainly, as he points out, a combination of politics and cultural war. The House GOP are trying, by all means, to get rid of the Department of Education and the EPA.

2011-02-26 10:29:38Clarification
John Hartz
John Hartz
john.hartz@hotmail...

My reference to overpopulation was to the population of the world as a whole.  

What's going on in the US is being driven by the Koch brothers and their ilk. They are playing a certain segment of the American people like a fiddle on a string through a variety of mechanisms that they have created and financed over the years. Unless "Citizens United" is overturned, the US will be a country "of Big Business, by Big Business, and for Big Business."